We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
793 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

i have 3 weeks. I'm trying to decide if i should spend it mostly around Cancun, Cozumel, Playa Mujeres, Xel-ha, Xcaret, and Belize

or do a big circle, starting from Cancun, heading towards Belize, then to Antigua & panajachel, Chichen Itza.

any trip ideas appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belize
Belize
Central America
Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

To do the circuit through Guatemala would take every bit of three weeks and you would be moving all the time. I wanted to see Mayan ruins and spent time at each so we took 2 months. I think that you could see the Yucatan and Belize in 3 weeks and be satisfied.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Belize
Belize
Central America
Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

I would do Belize and Yucatan.

You can take the bus from Belize City to Chetumal and then from Chetumal to Cancun (this eats up one day -- so keep that in mind).

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
793 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

thanks for the advice. im leaning towards yucantan belize as well. just worried about costs since belize is quite developed.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

Belize is not cheap nor is the Yucatan. (not the parts you want to see)

What do you want see in Belize?

Guatemela is cheaper.

Edited: 21 November 2010, 20:42
Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

I have done both loops many times, and if you have three weeks I would hit Guatemala as it is culturally amazing (and very cheap). You can always do one of those little flights that take you the long distances. I do like Belize a lot, especially the keys, but also the interior jungle.

Your first choice sounds fun, but it truly is just an extended version of a typical Cancun trip.

Now another option would be to hit southern mexico (i.e. the Chiapas area). It is a wonderful area with loads of culture, great food and the best coffee in the world (IMO). San Christobal De Las Casas is a wonderful town very similar to Antigua in Guatemala. And there are loads of little villages where one can wonder around and shop for local arts and crafts. It is a day trip away from Cancun with the ADO bus, so you would want to go that way for a week. Then spend the rest in Yukatan.

You can PM me if you want loads of info on these adventures away from Cancun.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Belize
Belize
Central America
Ado
Ado
571 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
793 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

i want to go caye caulker and snorkel in belize.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

actually belize is pretty undeveloped. alot depends on what you want to do. there are very few AI's in belize but the people are great which is why I like Belize.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

Belize is not at all developed and is lightly populated. Lots of wildlife. You can find cheap lodgings on Caye Calker and in San Ignacio. The food is expensive for what you get but I found Belize worth a visit. Great diving & snorkeling. Maya ruins too. If you like Mayan ruins you could visit Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Ek Balam and Coba in the Yucatan. Caracol and Zununtanich in Belize with a side trip overnight to Tikal in Guatemala. Not a typical Cancun trip at all.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Coba
Coba
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
793 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

okay. so i'm thinking of two itineraries.

1) Cancun-Chichen Itza-Merida-Palenque-San Cristobal-Panajachel-Chichi-Antiguag-Guatemala city-Rio Dulce-Livingston-Flores-Tikal-San Ignacio-Belize city- Caye Caulker- Playa del carmen

or

2) Cancun-Chichen Itza-Tikal-San Ignacio-Belize city- Caye Caulker- Playa del carmen

Option 1 basically does a big loop around mexico, guatemala, belize

where as option two just hits some points.

i'm just wondering if im missing out on anything if i skip merida, palenque, san cristobal, panajache, rio dulce, livingston?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks: Cancun-Belize-Guatemala or Cancun-Yucantan-Belize ?

I wouldn't skip Merida & Uxmal. You can do a Yucatan loop & Belize. Save Guatemala & Chiapas highlands for another trip. These are all sublime places. You don't want to racing around and not able to enjoy the experience of what each has to offer. Just my opinion after one 2 month trip and many followups to this great part of the world.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America