We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

The US State department still has a travel advisory issued for all of Mexico, but we have heard no reports of problems in Cancun or Isla Mujeres. We go to Isla Mujeres every Feb and have never been concerned with our safety. Has anyone experienced or heard of problems in these areas? Thank you.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

No reports because there is nothing to report. It is safe.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

yes very safe, in fact safer than most places in the US

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

The resorts and tourist attractions have low levels of crime but high levels of criminal activity remain a concern through all of Mexico, and northern Mexico has extreme levels of violence. Here's the warning and recommendation issued by our government (Canada):

Canadians travelling to Mexico should exercise a high degree of caution due to a deteriorating security situation in many parts of the country. While major tourist areas such as the Yucatán Peninsula and Pacific resort areas have not been affected by the extreme levels of violence witnessed in the northern border region, it is highly advisable to travel to Mexico by air (please see our travel warning for the Mexico-United States border). High levels of criminal activity, as well as occasional demonstrations and protests, remain a concern throughout the country.

It's also worth noting that I booked a vacation for this February. I'll take precautions but obviously I think things are okay enough for myself and my wife. For a trip to any country read your government advisory and gather other reliable sources and then do you own risk assessment and if you go take proper precautions.

Edited: 21 November 2010, 21:03
New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

Please read where the State Dept says there are problems. Those areas are 1500 plus miles from Cancun. Think of it this way if you hear something going wrong in LA would you not travel to Chicago becasue of that? Same applies here.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

Okay, so here's what the U.S. says, "Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major drug trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems." And ironically, they use the exact word you wanted to see "problems", though the preceed it with the word "serious". That doesn't mean don't go, as I said I'm going in February.

For the full report go here:

…state.gov/travel/…crime

Here's the full part about crime:

Crime in Mexico continues to occur at a high rate, and it can often be violent, especially in the border areas, and the states of Nuevo Leon, Guerrero, Sinaloa, Michoacan, and Durango. Other metropolitan areas have lower, but still serious, levels of crime. The low rates of apprehension and conviction of criminals also contribute to Mexico’s high crime rate. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors traveling to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major drug trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well. U.S. citizen victims of crime in Mexico are encouraged to report incidents to the nearest police headquarters and to the nearest U.S. consular office.

Edited: 22 November 2010, 03:04
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

…yahoo.com/s/…us_mexico_crime_summit

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

Thanks for presenting the true facts FrenchRok. The fans of Cancun (business owners) try to make it seem that the only problems in Mexico are in Juarez or along the border.

The truth is violence is widespread. As you mentioned, there is trouble in Nueva Leon, Sinaloa, Durango, Michoacan, and Mexico City. These are not border areas. Perhaps the business owners need to learn some geography.

There have been no tourists killed in Quintana Roo by the gangs. But, to try to justify the violence in Mexico as being isolated to the border is in fact a gross misstatement (check the stories out of Acapulco), and wishful thinking by the establishment.

Use common sense and stay where tourists are congregated. Hopefully, they don't want to kill the golden goose that feeds them all = that being the tourists.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

Hi!

I recently published a post called "Is it safe to travel to Cancun? – Cancun tops ABC News 7 safe places to visit in Mexico list" where you can read a report by ABC News travel, plus links to other similar articles. Take a look and judge by yourself. :)

cancunissafe.com/featured/…

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Camilo

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

Just a note to an earlier closed thread on safety in Cancun regarding a threat to the COP16 Climate Conference in Cancun slated to start next week, Mexican Authorities of the Special Office of Investigation for Organized Crime are denying that the criminals arrested had security documents, strategic information, and documentation related to an alleged, planned attack on the conference that was inferred by earlier news sources. Of note, Por Esto, one of the primary news sources for the original story is the publisher of today's update.

As to Cancun and Isla Mujeres for tourists, quite safe from any major criminal activity as long as visitors avoid prostitution, drug acquisition and illegal activity. Use common sense as one would in any major world tourism area and avoid situations that would lead to problems like public drunkenness et al.

Edited: 22 November 2010, 12:35
Gardner,Illinios
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Cancun & Isla Mujeres Currently Safe?

You better say Cancun is safe.If you don't, the topix monitor will be deleted or closed the topix..I just got back from Cancun.I had a excellence time at the Great Parnassus.I would go back to Cancun.People are very nice there and I felt safe.I am going to write my review,try to answer some questions and get off trip advisor.This website which once was great, are to controlling now.