We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electrical outlets

Sangudo
12 posts
Save Topic
electrical outlets

I am wondering if anyone out there knows what kind of outlets they have at the Gran Caribe Real or any hotel in Cancun. We are staying there Feb 28-Mar7 and have been told that the plugins are different than in Canada and the wattage is also different so the adaptors don't do you any good either. We did read on a web site or in a book at a travel agency that the electricity is the same as the US and Canada. However now I am getting mixed reports.

Thanks

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: electrical outlets

Mexico is the same as the rest of North America. Different than Britain or Europe.

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: electrical outlets

Slap the people who told you it's different. lol

Sangudo
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: electrical outlets

thanks, the people that told me this were staying at the Mayan over the Christmas holiday, guess they were out to lunch hey. So I will plan to bring my battery charger for my digital camera. Cheers, here's to looking forward to some sun and sand not to mention the cold beer.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: electrical outlets

I'm not sure about the hotels, but in every apartment I've lived in here the outlets only have two prongs, so I use those cheap little adapters to turn my 3-pronged plugs into 2-pronged plugs. I think what you read elsewhere may have been referring to that. Maybe someone else knows whether all or most of the hotels have 3-pronged outlets in case that's what you need.

Sangudo
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: electrical outlets

thanks, I appreciate your time and advice

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: electrical outlets

I don't believe mexico has polarized plugs (one prong fatter than the other). If Canada uses polarized plugs, you may have trouble getting your plug into the outlet. We always bring a simple three-way adapter available at Lowes for a buck since the male end isn't polarized. Besides, Cancun resorts seldom have enough outlets to suit us.

Sangudo
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: electrical outlets

bungalowbill

Thanks for the info, I will try to find an adapter like that here at Home Depo.

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: electrical outlets

item 09913-88-23 at Home depot may be it. At least it looks like what we use, although I can't tell if the male portion is polarized. If you have the equivelent of the Dollar Store or Dollar General, it will obviously be cheaper.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: electrical outlets

We have been to the playa del carmen area for the past 2 years and are going again next month. The oulets are the same as you will find here in Canada. I was able to plug in my camera charger every night. That is one of the reasons we return there. In Cuba you need special adaptors. But Mexico is just like here at home.

Sangudo
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: electrical outlets

Thanks to all for your help. Now all we have to worry about is the beach. Hopefully it will be back where it belongs by the time we get there.