We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SeaTac
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

We just got "hit" by the Cancun police! We are in Cancun right now and just got stung by a very young municiple policeman on the main road in the hotel zone. He said we were speeding. He picked us out of traffic that we were flowing along with, our rental car has a Thrifty sticker on the trunk. Our choice was a $150 ticket or pay the little jerk a bribe. We told him that we were supposed to get one warning as a courtesy (we read that here on this forum) but he didn´t agree. He did agree though to forget all about it for a $45 bribe. I guess that we are lucky that it was all the money my husband had in his wallet!

Before we get the lectures on the dangers of renting cars in Mexico l want to say that we have been renting cars in Mazatlan for years and have NEVER had a problem. This is the first time that we have rented in Cancun.

People always ask us why we go to Mexico, that it is dangerous. We always tell them that it is not, that they rely on the tourist business to keep their economy running and treat tourists well. Obviously some local police rely on more than just their paychecks to keep THEIR economy running!

Boy, this has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

1. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 06:05
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

Yes, its their fault for police corruption in Mexico. Unbelievable!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

Actually,

I had the same problem 3 days ago on the highway almost close to the airport.

This police officer on a motorcycle ask me to pull over, because I was doing 60 on a 50 section. This is a road that a I take everyday to work and pretty much know it like the palm of my hand so we starts with the Ye' Old famous "I'm taking your license and you will have to pay lot's of money" and I go "mm , ok, give me my ticket." He takes my license and my circulation card back to his motorcycle and 3 minutes he returns and says : " Ok, I'm going to let you go , take this as a warning" and I was like " Thanks officer I will keep it mind"

As you can see this "officers" mostly want their bribe and then go away with or with our a reason, and when you contribute with this endless chain they will continue ruining peoples vacations and the way people see Mexico.

= (

Edited: 13 December 2010, 21:53
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

From your own description of events, you made several critical errors.

1. You didn't stash your money in a money belt.

2. You didn't bring a photocopy of the article allowing "one free tourist pass. It was your word against his.

3. You were keeping up with traffic. This undoubtedly means you were speeding, given the fact that 99.99% of traffic does. You were supposed to be in the right lane ignoring those cars passing on your left, but got caught up and tried to blend in. Mistake.

4. The ultimate mistake.was paying the bribe. If you were speeding, and I believe you were, you should have told.the officer paying him could be considered a bribe, and that's illegal. Then ask to be taken to the police station. Sorry, no sympathy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

He/she

Edited: 13 December 2010, 22:11
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

Call it whatever you'd like. The poster shouldn't have given the cop any money, and made numerous errors while driving the area. Tomatoes...tomatoes, if you get my drift. Paying the bribe, extortion, bait, mordida, blackmail, graft, remuneration, kickback, inducement, or grease just perpetuates the problem.

Edited: 13 December 2010, 22:20
playa del carmen
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

Bella is absolutely correct..

Demand to take the ticket..he will ask you for your drivers license.give it to him and suggest that you will pay the fine at the police station and pick up your license...chances are he will give you a warning.

Sorry it left a bad taste in your mouth...I sincerely hope that you enjoy the rest of your vacation and that you can laugh about it later...:)

Edited: 13 December 2010, 23:12
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

" ...he will ask you for your drivers license.give it to him..."

I would only add this, when he asks for your license, explain you will provide it ONLY after you have his full name and badge number. If you don't speak Spanish, you can certainly make your point using gestures and Spanglish if the cop isn't wearing a badge. Make certain he sees you write down his information.

Edited: 14 December 2010, 00:47
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

In the Playa del Carmen forum read the appropriate posts on this topic in the Top Questions section BEFORE you rent a vehicle.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We were wrong, The Police DO Pick on tourists!

So....what are the rules on driving without a driver's license? In California, we are required to have the license whenever driving. Not having it is a misdemeanor and can get a significant fine--when I lost my license, I took public transit to the DMV (blessedly, my 2 closest DMVs are easy to get to).

So, if the police take your license, how can you legally move the car? If it is a rental car, you can't even get someone else to drive it without violating the rental agreement. I realize that the laws and the practice may have big differences, but could someone discuss this?