We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Caribe...bad reviews

wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Riu Caribe...bad reviews

We are staying at the Riu Caribe with our two boys ages 4 and 11 in January and have been looking very forward to our vaction. Recently there seems to be an abundance of bad reviews regarding the Riu Caribe....anyone know what's going on? We are not fussy people and have stayed at a wide range of all-inclusives throughout Mexico, St Lucia, and the Dominican. Do you think there's reason to be alarmed? Should I contact my travel agent to switch locations? Thanks.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

I would not worry and just look forward to having fun!! All of the RIU properties in Cancun are great!!

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

I stayed at the RIU Caribe a few years ago and had a really good time there. I just read two of the upper "negative" reviews. The short review that just the place was horrid is far too short to really get any context for their problem, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. The other review comes up to expectation management, IMHO. They also seemed disgruntled from the get-go, and I get the feeling that if you are rude, you are much more apt to get poor service. Can't really safe for certain on that, but it is just an impression I have.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

Although I havnt stayed there I did spend a whole day there last May while staying at the RPLA. The Caribet is a great resort with a wonderful beach, good food and great pools. Your family will love it.

Keep in mind that people tend to post the negatives more than the positives. Im sure your experience will be very positive. And please do post a review afterwards!!!!

Va
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

I think if you exclude the reviews that people were disappointed because each drink was not 100% pure alcohol then the reviews look pretty good.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

I stayed at the Riu Palace last month and read as many reviews as I could possibly get through before booking. The issues that people complained of were not that big of a deal to us at all if we experienced it - and none of the complaints were dealbreakers even when we booked. I think wherever you stay, there will be things that come up that might not please you, but by no means, did any of those small issues ever become a big deal to us. Hard beds, the so-called "musty" smell, and a few other things were apparent - but if you claim to be laid-back, those kinds of things will not spoil your vacation.

Some people on our transfer van on the way to the airport stayed at the Caribe and they had a great time :)

It seems to me that people just can't be pleased, honestly. Enjoy yourselves!!!

christiana,pa
Level Contributor
331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

Don't pay any attention to the bad reviews. My adult daughter and I go there every June for a girl's vacation. It is a beautiful resort and we have never had bad service. In fact, we can't wait to go back! We see many families there too and they all say they love it! IM me with any questions.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

My sister and her boyfriend were there 3 weeks ago and had a blast. They said it was a nice mix of families and couples. The only negative thing they had to say would apply to all hotels in Cancun...the hotel blocks the sun around 3:30 pm. To avoid this just make sure to get up early in order to enjoy the sun and you'll have a blast too!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

the drinks can be a bit weak... however this is a good thing as you are drinking all day.

the bartenders are MORE than happy to give you a top up.

however.. this is not always a good plan.

i tried it myself last year.

i dont remember a thing

lancs
Level Contributor
979 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

Hi,we were there 3 weeks ago,and had a great time.The staff there can't do enough for you.As for the drinks, we had no complaints in that department.

We wouldn't hesitate to go back to this hotel for our 4th visit.

Just go and enjoy yourselves.have a great holiday.

Marie.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Caribe...bad reviews

glad to hear it

we are going back for our third visit in januray to tie the knot :)