We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air tran travel good/bad?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chickamauga, Georgia
Level Contributor
272 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Air tran travel good/bad?

I'm planning my 8th trip to cancun & found a really good deal on plane tickets through air tran however I've never traveled with them before I usually flight delta..so if anyone can help out with their opinion I would apperciated it. Thanks

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

What can you say, it's a airline. Not a premier class airline such as Virgin, but they'll get you there. Remember the Valujet flight that went down in the Florida everglades? That's Airtran. I'll be flying them also in several weeks. Have a good time.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

Great service, no....great value? depends. Like he said, their an airline. Delta is my personal preferred one too but if you have a good deal, go for it!

Va
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

Make sure you add the baggage fee. Delta doesn't charge for the first checked bag to mexico. Air Tran does, or will until the merger with southwest goes through.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
583 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

I love Airtran...I have an Airtran credit card and travel free about 90% of the time. I was so HAPPY when Cancun became one of their destinations and now that Punta Cana is I am going to Hard Rock Punta Cana in April! Also...if I book a flight with them (a flight that I paid for) and then the rate goes down, I just call them and they credit my airtran acct with the difference. At Thanksgiving I called them 5 times about one reservation because it went down 5 times. So if you buy when it's high and catch it when it's low...give them a call!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

Awesome. Cheap!! Make sure to join their flyers club. They offer upgrade after only a few miles that is awesome. We use them to go to Vegas from MKE and love the free cocktails!!!!!

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
583 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

I also LOVE that upgrade when flying to Vegas!!!

USA
Level Contributor
693 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

From a smaller market like Buffalo - Airtran is the one airline that has an easy early fight - connects in Atlanta - same terminal so we don't need to run to an international terminal. It was just an easy flight last year (vs. horrendous flights on Continental the year before and 12 hr. delays out of cold New Jersey). ............knock on wood - we're using them in 30 days again.

Alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

Looks like you're flying out of Atlanta.?

We have flown both Delta and AirTran out of Atlanta to Cancun. For coach flights, I actually prefer AirTran. There seems to be more room, and the staff has always been friendlier.

Differences inside the airport: AirTran does not leave from that International Terminal that Delta uses, they use a regular gate.

AirTran does charge for bags and there will be LOTS of people with carry ons only...be there for the plane when boarding begins, because they will run out of room in the overheads inevitably near you. lol

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

I've yet to have a bad flight on AirTran and almost always am able to upgrade.

Atlanta,Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air tran travel good/bad?

I live in Atlanta and we always fly Air Tran if it goes where we want to go. Air Tran employees are very friendly. I have not had an issue with late departures like I have had with Delta. I fly Air Tran at least once a year. We are flying to Cancun on Feb.26th and can't wait.