We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Hi,

I did read some other reviews on these two and most ppl seem to pick Sun Palace. My fiance' and I are trying to decide which one to go to for our honeymoon. We love beaches, and the things to do at night. We are going to be 28 years old. We want to relax but also maybe go to Senor Frogs or a fun type of bar like that. Also, want to do snorkeling and shopping!

Any opinion on which one to go to would be great!

Thanks,

Candy

canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

We are in the same boat.

Both look awesome.

Price wise we are leaning towards the Sun Palace.

Which resort is better in the food department?

I have read that Palace Resorts are offering up to $1500 dollars in resort credits.

It has me thinking.

Has any one returned from the Sun Palace?

Jack-Joe

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

I like the idea of $1,500 resort credit. Seems to good to be true!

Los Alamitos...
Level Contributor
133 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Hi, I am an owner of Palace Resorts and love it! Haven't been to Sun Palace but have been to the following: Moon Palace, Adventura Palace, Xu Pu Ha Palace, Cozumel Palace, and Playa Car Palace. My family loves these resorts! The all inclusive is great and you can go from resort to resort w/o paying anything. $1500 incentive dollars are wonderful and allows you to do a variety of things. IMO, give them a try..

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Thanks for the info! Do you know if there is nightly stuff to do at the resort like shows or clubs?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

If it all comes down to price, Sun Palace may be better if you want to do excursions. I think they include some excursions in the price. Yes, there are those credits but I'm not exactly sure what they can be used for. I am pretty sure they have some restrictions.

If you have enough in your budget, please consider the following:

This is your honeymoon so try to make it as special as you can. If a couple hundred dollars doesn't make a difference in the long run for you, pick the best you can get for the money you have available.

The Royal and the Sun Palace are different resorts. The Royal is slightly larger than the Sun Palace - SP has about 250 rooms and the Royal has about 285 rooms. The pool at the Royal is about 4x the size of the pool at SP. I have stayed at the Moon Palace (2000) and the Sun Palace (2005) and IMHO, the food is much better at the Royal. Palace resorts prep a lot of their food in a central kitchen and distribute it to the resorts. The Royal prepares everything on site - right in front of you in most cases. They are usually willing to make things that are not on the menu in a few of their restaurants.

The rooms at SP and the Royal are pretty equal as far as amenities are concerned. With either resort, you should at least upgrade from the lowest room category. If you want to splurge, the Royals higher end rooms are going to beat the SP upgraded rooms. If you play golf, the SP may be a good choice because some of the room categories include it.

Although you will be able to use facilities at the other Palace resorts, you will still have to get in a cab to get to those resorts. The Royal has the Gran Caribe Real next door and they have a walkway between the two resorts. This gives you a total of 10 separate restaurants within a very short walk. The Royal also has a 24 hr lounge with self service wine, beer, booze, munchies, pool tables and ping pong.

And for a honeymoon, you can not beat the Royal's showers. Even in the second to lowest category, they have dual heads and body jets (nice showers are a big one for me and my wife). Not sure what SP has because the place was remodeled after we went there.

For you, I would suggest the Royal. We are 28 and 40 and we believe the Royal has a great mix of luxury and fun. The signature resort for Palace is LeBlanc and I believe the Royal is more comparable with LeBlanc than it is with the Sun Palace.

Nonetheless, you will have a great time regardless of the one you chose. The are both great resorts with lots of fans.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

As far as things to do at night, both resorts are going to get pretty quiet after 10. There is so much to do in Cancun at night so the resorts really don't focus on evening entertainment.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Wow thanks for the info, I will fill my fiancé in!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Do you know if there is shopping within walking distance to either resort?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

There is a mall across the street from the Royal - Flamingo Plaza. Flamingo is not a very happening mall but it is, nonetheless, a mall. Margaritaville is also across the street. The Royal is much closer to the party area of the Hotel Zone than the Sun Palace.

The Sun Palace is near the beginning of the Hotel Zone (closest to the airport) so there is not much around there except hotels and condos. I think there is a convenience store across the street.

It is really easy to figure out where everything is in the Hotel Zone. The addresses are kilometer markers. The Main Party area is around Kukulcan Blvd 9.5 km. The Royal is at 11.5 km, The Sun Palace is at 20 km, La Isla Mall (the biggest mall) is at 12.5 km, Kukulcan Plaza is at 13 km (high end shops), As for clubs, Dady O's as at 9.5 km, Coco Bongo's is at 9.5 km.

As you can see, the Sun Palace is pretty far from the action. Of course, you can hop in a cab to get anywhere and if you don't plan to leave the resort, the distance is not an issue.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Palace VS. The Royal in Cancun...can't decide

Do either resorts have any shows at night ? Anything to do at night without leaving resort? Or do people just go to bed? lol