We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Level Contributor
503 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

We leave the country, so my husband can escape phones ringing--including cell phones. However, the last few times we have been lying around the pool, we hear constant cell phones ringing or dinging with instant messages.

If people CHOOSE to have constant contact with work or friends, can they not silence or vibrate their cells?

Your opinions??? Maybe I am missing a need that I am not aware of!

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
133 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,049 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,378 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Not necessarily. Consider the last time you were wearing a bathing suit and your cell was in your bag and your two little kids were in another country with grandma.....would you want to leave it on vibrate and chance missing a call that one kid was in the ER? How about if grandma was in the hospital and you were taking a well deserved break from caring for her and she took a turn for the worse?

Not everyone's lives are the same. I faced that prospect for years - not the kids - they were always with us - but the elderly parents and always carried a cell when in Cancun - with the ringer on loud - in case something happened. I was the caregiver for the last 7 months my parents lived and I had a two week break in Cancun. I would have been infuriated if someone had been upset because I had the nerve to have a cell phone with the ringer on.

Sorry but no sympathy here.

Cheryl

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

jjjday -

I am with you 100%. That is why the vibrate function exists. I work in a library and it is amazing how people act with cell phones.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Don't you think it' s rather presumptuous to assume that others can feel the vibration through your beach bag while you are lying on a lounge chair in a bikini? I don't usually sunbathe with a cell next to my skin....do you? Nor do I usually allow mine to get wet.

A library is very different. One can easily put it on the table next to you in vibrate mode and feel it vibrate. There are also signs all over our public libraries saying "no cells".....

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Maybe, too, this is perspective. When our kids were younger we went on vacation for a week and wanted total peace and quiet. Now that they are older and out of grad school, we go for 5 weeks or so over the year. We can't disconnect for five weeks....others who go for multiple weeks can't either.

Cheryl

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

I am not presuming anything. However, most phones that are set to vibrate will vibrate when on table, on a chaise lounge. That would be the polite thing to do - set it to vibrate. If one is terrified of missing a call - check the missed calls frequently.

"No cell" use signs in a library are ignored. Many people seem to feel that his or her call is an exception because it is important.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Most aren't....but sometimes they truly are.

I've tried to use the vibrate mode on my cell and it was useless on a beach chair. The chairs at the resorts I've stayed at are mesh and you can't feel a thing.

Obviously everyone is better at it than I am...

Cheryl

Level Contributor
503 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

If situations are THAT important, you will keep a cell phone right next to you (even on vibrate).

I have a 23 year old daughter, a sick mother, and a life like everyone else has. However, that is not EVERYONE else's problem. That is MY issue--so I should be the only one bothered. Furthermore, IF it is not a complete emergency, why call and tell me? I can do nothing from Mexico. My dad died and I could not get an early flight out. My sister was murdered and we were flying out at 6 the next morning, so why call at midnight and tell me?

YOUR issues are YOUR's....why ruin EVERYONE's vacation? Vibrate will alert you IF it is important enough to keep your cell close....

You bought a room at the hotel, not the entire hotel--don't bother everyone.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Please, pray tell, what resorts do you stay at so that I can ensure I never stay anywhere near you? I would hate to think that someone tiptoed near you and inconvenienced you. Do you also get upset at everyone who is loud? Drunk? Splashing? Holding chairs? Making you wait in line for a table? Or is your anger just reserved to others who might need to answer a phone call?

You obviously have issues to be dealt with. I'm sorry for you.

Cheryl

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

Wow. My wife has to bring a cell phone so work can get ahold of her this year. If it is gonna ruin your vacation.. stay in your room.

Level Contributor
503 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vibrate setting on cell phones....It is a great discovery...

We vacation 5 or more times a year, and it does not "ruin" our vacation. It simply is disrespectful of others. If your wife needs her phone for work, she surely is professional enough to keep it on vibrate. Her boss/coworkers do not need Everyones' attention around the pool. My husband's company has 50,000 employees (oilfield related), and he is able to take a week off....

No One is THAT important....