We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

From the folks at AAA, the 2011 AAA Five Diamond Award Mexican Resorts:

M E X I C O

Fairmont Mayakoba

Le Blanc Spa Resort - Cancun - new this year

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa

Four Seasons Hotel Mexico, D.F. - Mexico City

Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita

Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort - Nuevo Vallarta

Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort - Riviera Maya – new this year

Las Ventanas al Paraiso - San José del Cabo

Mandarin Oriental Riviera Maya

Occidental Royal Hideaway Resort & Spa - Playa del Carmen

Rosewood Mayakoba

The Ritz Carlton, Cancun

The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort

Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Resort - Riviera Maya

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

Fiesta Americana Coral Beach didn't make it this year?

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

I am still amazed that the JW makes that list. It's nice - but not that nice.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

I too was surprised to see a Marriott property alongside a Mandarin Oriental and a Four Seasons. And Fairmont Mayakoba made the cut but not Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Again, surprising. Still, AAA gives out that rating sparingly, so I tend to give that more weight than "stars" assigned by other entities. Thanks for posting!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

The way AAA rates hotels according to Consumer Reports magazine, the hotels actually have to pay AAA to be inspected and put in their travel guide.

Expedia actually announces when they coming for inspection, the only company in my opinion who does it fair is Michelin Travel Guide, because they reserve rooms like we do without the hotel knowning it. That is why ratings are very subjective and not all hotels are included in AAA.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

sig, that sounds a little like the reported Better Business Bureau ratings that seemed to be based upon making some sort of payment to the BBB. Paying to get a good rating is hardly subjective.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

I always thought they had to pay as well but their website says differently. They claim that hotels do not pay but have to apply to be evaluated. Also, the visits are unannounced.

Still, if you limit yourself to only AAA properties, you will be missing out on a number of very nice places. The Royals, for example, are not rated at all but they would definitely get a AAA 4 diamond, maybe a 5. I'm not sure why they don't apply. Maybe, in the case of the Royals, they figure they are busy enough already - why ruin a perceived 5 star experience with a 4 diamond rating. Also, once you get that 5 diamond, I bet expectations rise beyond what a AI resort can deliver on a consistent basis. Maybe that's why there has been a rash of bad reviews for LeBlanc?

michigan.aaa.com/page/Diamonds/890.uts…

Edited: 02 March 2011, 15:48
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

CO_Pilot54

I am just repeating what Consumer Report wrote. I just went thru this article again to make sure, and exactly what AAA does. So I agree with you completely. Matter of fact they even mention Trip Advisor, and according to them when you read reviews, you should basically discard the glowing ones and the real bad ones and make your judgment someplace in the middle. And I guess we knew that already. Personally I was very surprise when they wrote that AAA actually gets paid by the hotel to review it. You live and learn.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

FA Grand Coral Beach has been on it seven years straight. somehow it is removed after remodeling their rooms and adding the biggest nicest spa in the whole South America? Yet the Ritz Carlton MoBay with really crappy service, crappy beach, crappy pool, and ok room makes it? Maybe you have to pay to play...like with BBB or Yelp? Personal experience...my business got five stars rating for years on Yelp and then they promptly delisted them when I refused to pay them $700 a month advertising fee.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

toothxt

Well said.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Mexican Resorts

I always love when I resort puts 5 stars on their sign in front of the property. Would they actually remove stars if the property went downhill a bit?

I think this company has the most accurate star ratings. We have not booked with them in a few years but I think they are pretty fair. The only problem with them is they do not offer enough properties.

www.classicvacations.com/hotels/mexico/cancun