We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Colorado
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

We have been to the original several times and loved it. Does the new location have the same menu?

PA
Level Contributor
575 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Would like to know this myself as well.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

pretty much so yes and the ambieance is incredible. I prefer the new one in the hotel zone better

Edited: 03 March 2011, 20:00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

I am with BVG_Steve on this one, I too prefer the new location for a couple of reasons. For starters, the interior of the restaurant is absolutely beautiful, set on several levels to take advantage of the oversized windows that give a stunning view of the lagoon, and of course the sunset. Outside there is a patio area surrounded by a garden and overlooking the lagoon. I enjoy dining outdoors when in Cancun, and even when we were there in June when it was fairly hot and humid, they provided fans around our table to keep us cool. The only thing I want to add is that I found the menu in the Hotel Zone offered several items that I did not notice on the menu at their Centro (Downtown) location. Now keep in mind that I don't have two menus side by side, so I cannot totally swear that they are different, or if anything has changed in recent months. However whichever location you choose, one thing I can pretty much guarantee is that if you enjoy eating seafood, you will not be disappointed at either location.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

From www.cancunmenus.com:

La Habichuela - For 33 years the Pezzotti family has welcomed guests to this lovely home with its lush garden, where dining under the stars adds to the allure of twinkling lights in the trees and candle-lit tables. Sooo romantic, it’s no wonder visitors keep returning year after year. Soothing atmosphere filled with reproduced Mayan artifacts and artwork, a fountain, a fish tank and more. Always a favorite, absolutely worth the trip to town - you’ll just love it! Say “LAH-b’CHWEH-lah”.

View Menu Online: http://tinyurl.com/ybu2nol

La Habichuela Sunset - This incredible new creation by the Pezzotti family is not just an exquisite restaurant, like the original, it’s also a tribute to Mayan culture. Jaw dropping artwork & authentic reproductions abound. Selecting a table can be challenging as there are so many terrific options. The split-level interior with 25’ floor to ceiling windows provides a panoramic view of the lagoon and gardens. Perfect for romantic dining - stunning at sunset - lighted columns, palm trees, waterway, etc. Bring the camera!

View Menu Online: http://tinyurl.com/2uspob4

Colorado
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Thanks so much...we will give the Sunset a try!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Winter/Spring edition of Cancun Menus:

issuu.com/cancunmenus/docs/cancun_menus

LD2
Hudson OH
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Went to both last year and the only difference we noticed was the Cocobichuela (the signature seafood in the coconut) was NOT on the menu at Sunset. While a fan of the downtown location for years, we loved Sunset too - it is stunning! We will be back in 2 weeks and will definitely eat there.

Colorado
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Great, cannot wait to try the Sunset!

Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

love them both. . .I believe I prefer the Sunset in the HZ. The interior is absolutely FUN to walk through. I think I just figured out where to go for our anniversary on the 20th.

Colorado
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Original La Habichuela versus the New La Habicheula Sunset?

Sounds great. I will be there for my birthday 5/9....so that will be my pick !