We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy Way Car Rental

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Easy Way Car Rental

Rented a car last year from Cancun Rent a Car aka Caribbean Rent a Car aka America Car Rental. It was my first time getting full insurance; I have always just gone with liability only and covered the car with my credit card. The issue that I had is that when I rented the car there were 2 full pages of fine print that were exclusions from the “full” insurance. One of the exclusions was drunk driving which was fine but the next was the windshield and it went on and on. I stopped reading the entire list due to being tired from traveling and just wanted to get to our condo.

There have been some good comments about Easy Way and their full insurance. Has anyone that rented from EZ remembered if there is a long list of exclusions for their “full” coverage?

104 replies to this topic
Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

We just rented from them in early February, and I don't recall a list (or a very long one) of exclusions. We did buy the additional insurance package though that covered just about everything with no deductable.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

imho, i think if you are going to rent a car in cancun, it is very wise to buy every coverage there is in the insurance to avoid the 'fine print" at the end.

in other words, buy the full maximum coverage so they can't slam you with any hidden extra costs.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

Thank you boomanchu,

I was hoping that I dealt with a bad company last year.

Clui,

My point was that I did buy all the coverage that they had but it had a ton of exclusions. With that "full" coverage I would be better off going to Alamo and buying liability only and using my credit card to cover the rest. Once you buy more than liability coverage my credit card will not cover a thing.

Renting a car is something that you need to research before you go. Besides the insurance you need to be ready to deal with gas station scams and local police bribes.

It's only $70 for the 8 days to have "full" coverage but I'm just trying to be sure that it is "full" coverage.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

We used to use Cancun rent a car. We now use Easy Way and we are very happy with them. Will definately will use them in the future. They are friendly, honest and reasonable. Their prices include insurance in their quotes. We definately always get full insurance. After all, you are in a foreign country.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

We book car rentals through our hotel, and although we pay a higher price, we feel that there is a sense of accountability since we are guests of the hotel.

Regarding another rental agency: Caribbean Car rental aka America Car Rental. We booked with them before checking the TA posts, then once we DID check the TA posts we cancelled. This was the email response we rec'd:

Sorry you base decisions on heresay from cry baby forums. If we can be of service toyou in the future, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Julio Davila

Boy are we glad we cancelled...TA Saved the day again!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

I posted this morning (1:15am) about the good experience we had with Easy Way Rent a Car in November 2010. I just looked at our paperwork...and the reverse side of the yellow form definitely does contain some very fine print clauses regarding insurance coverage. The left side of the page is in Spanish and the right side is in English. Pretty basic stuff to be expected from any rental car company. I did NOT notice at the time I rented the vehicle that one of the clauses was in regard to "not driving above 80 km per hour". OOOPPS! Other clauses were pretty obvious....no transportation of animals, corrosive or dangerous substances; not to use it as a taxi; not to drive it in any races or speed trials; not to drive under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating drugs; etc.

Overall, I was totally pleased with how I was dealt with by the folks at Easy Way both online and in person. The price for 16 days rental, including insurance, was a bargain. I would definitely rent from them again.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

Thank you rbgrot. That really helps. Don't mind paying a little extra for insurance just as long as it is good insurance.

I actually got away with a little damage on the car last year from America Car Rental. I had forgotten something when we got to the car so I gave the key to our friend to start it and turn on the ac. When I came back she had forgot to pull in the clutch when she started it and put the car into the condo wall. The condo manager was already out there trying to get it back over the parking curb. Could not believe that it only left a couple of scraps on the front bumper. I wish I had a picture of her after she did that. Needless to say nobody will be touching the car again.

Boulder CO
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

Watch your Credit Card Charges! I just got back from Cancun and I had rented a car from Easy Way. I had arranged the rental on-line before I left the US. I was quoted a price of 248.64 including full insurance. When I picked up my car, the receipt showed 295.26. I asked the man running the charge, he said "no, you got the internet special" and circled a price of 248.64 that was in the center of the receipt. When I drove down to our rental house, I checked my credit card and there was a charge of 295.26. When I returned the car, I explained this to the guy at Easy Way. He said no problem. He ran my card again for a refund of 40.00, still 6.98 short. I needed to catch my plane and decided that this was probably the best I was going to do and catch my plane. I called Easy Way today to ask why they over charged me. They told me that they would "send" me $5, still $1.98 short and I am not holding my breath for the $5. So if you rent from these guys review the receipt carefully and make sure any errors are corrected on the spot. Remember that their office is off site from the airport. In addition, the rental car had an empty gas tank when I received it. They did accept the return with an empty tank but its a pain to try to return a rental empty.

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

BOuldertravel, Sorry you had the hassle of the descrepancy on your cc charges. We had no issues with that at all. What was quoted online and shown on the paperwork was excactly what the carges were on our cc statement.

The van we rented only had a quarter tank when we picked it up. I just made sure that the fuel tank level was shown on the paperwork before I accepted the car, and there were no problems on the return.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 05:41
10. Re: Easy Way Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 11:55

Reply to: Easy Way Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted