We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lewisville, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

Hi everyone,

My 14 yr old son and I just returned from Spring Break in Cancun. We stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna, Km 14.5 on Kukulcan.

I wanted to put out a warning about Sea Lice in the hopes of preventing anyone else from experiencing the pain and agony of an attack like we just survived.

We've visited Cancun 5 times over the past 10 years as well as Barbados, Costa Rica and both sides of Florida and I'd never heard of Sea Lice until a few days ago.

To make a long story short: we got a little sunburned on day 2 of our trip so I asked my son to wear a Tshirt until 3pm on the 3rd day while in the ocean so his sunburn wouldn't get worse. Terrible idea. His skin started to burn while he was in the ocean and later that night he started itching ferociously like a dog with fleas. I thought it was his sunburn but it got worse and worse. He was extremely uncomfortable with insane itchiness and couldn't sleep or sit still.

I knew something was very wrong but had no idea what until I did a web search for "cancun beach itchy rash": Sea Lice.

Maybe it's the time of year, we've never gone in March, only June. Whatever's the case, please protect yourself. There is a lotion you can buy to prevent attacks but if you choose not to buy it please educate yourself on how to avoid attacks and bring along some Aveeno or other anti-itch lotion (he loves the Aveeno) in case you're exposed.

I feel so terrible that this happened and I had to watch my son suffer so much on his vacation. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Thank god for this site!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
198 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

I'm amazed that this danger isn't more widely known, and we should be grateful to you for raising the topic. When we went to Cancun it was February, so outside the season for this problem, but I generally spend a lot of time in the sea wearing a teeshirt to avoid repeated use of suncream, so if it had been later in the year I could have suffered much the same. It's certainly worth a look at the info available on the net. I just searched for "sea lice cancun mexico", and found all the necessary details. Thanks again.

CT
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

It is actually listed under the top questions asked about Cancun (top right of your screen). So sorry your son had such an experience. I've been lucky so far. I don't think I've ever gone during the season where they are a risk.

Gardner,Illinios
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

The last 3 times in Mexico, I been attacked by sea lice.The first 2 times, I spent a few hundeds of dollars getting rid of the problem.Last time, when the rash started,I rub my wife hand sanitizer on the rash.It stopped the itch and got rid of the rash.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
874 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

I know what you mean by itching. We have been to Cancun many times usually in May and never had a problem. But one year we were there in May with 4 other people. I was stung everywhere I was covered by my swim suit. No one else had the little critters. I have "safesea" ordered for our upcoming May trip. It is miserable. I will take Benadryl and some anti itch lotion as well as Safe Sea. I met a doctor from my home town on the shuttle back to the airport and he had some Benadryl with him. I had the rash after I got home for about 2 weeks.

5. Re: Sea Lice or "Seabather's eruption" warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:27