We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

I mean, despite the hurricane potential, is it just too hot that time of year?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

We were in Cozumel early August last year and yes, it was very hot. We did activities not involving water in the evenings or early morning and spent time under shade at the pool and beach during the day. Most places are air-conditioned indoors and while outdoors I was in the water. It didn't bother us, so much so that we are going to Cancun in July this year.

We did have some quick showers and that provided welcome relief.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

No, but for the simple reason that I try to vacation in Mexico when it is unbearably cold at home. End of story. August is too nice at home not to enjoy it for free.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

too freakin hot and humid for me

Clifton Park,NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

Ihave been to Cancun 3 times in August. It's fine if you just stay in the pool or stay wet. We usually get great deals at that time. We are a family of 4 and that is the only way we can travel so much.

Mary

Clifton Park

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

We were at the Grand Palladium in Akumal last August, as well as at the Royal PDC in April. There really was not much difference. The weather was hot both times but not stifling hot. I am going back again this August.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

Have never travelled in the summer as we like to get away from the cold. If it was the only time we could go or we got a great deal I'd go in a flash but I love the heat and I am always cold LOL I love Playa

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

We go to Mexico or somewhere else hot both in the winter once or twice to escape the cold (a must for here!)..... and for the past 5 years we have also gone in the summer too. It is usually for a week in early August.

Last summer went to Zihua, but two summers ago we were in Playa.

We loved it, we stayed in the Arena Blanca condos in the north end/Little Italy (Unit 3) and we got OW Diver certified that week. It was a great trip- the town is quieter and more laid back than it is in the winter months/high season, which is really nice. Gorgeous South Americans and Italians flood the town for you to ogle appreciatively. Everything is open but the crowds are gone, and the prices reflect the low season, deals galore. Even our summer weather here is not always reliably hot and we just like to get to the ocean as often as possible. I think this year we are heading to Isla Mujeres.

Yes, it is hot and humid, but we didn't find it oppressive at all. The worst thing was the pools are too warm, the ocean was nice though, if not a bit too warm too. Ocean breeze is a must, as is A/C for sleeping at night.

And we have lucked out and never had much rain in our 5 trips....it might be overcast a lot but that keeps it cooler, so it's okay. I think it rained only 3 or 4 times our week in Playa, and just short downpours. It rains more in Sept and Oct, typically, and also that is usually when there are hurricanes, if at all.

Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

We went last August and are going again this August. I think it's a great time to visit the area! Previously we had only been in February...what's so great about the summer is that it's perfect for being in the water, Feb. was too chilly sometimes. It's hot out, but I never thought it was too oppressive...rather it was just perfect for snorkeling or relaxing in the pool.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

I live in Cancun and hate being here in July and August. The heat and humidity can be unbearable at times. That being said, if there is a nice breeze and you are in the shade (cold beverage is optional), you might not hate it too much.

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
173 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you go to Playa del Carmen in August?

I'm a teacher and so to have more than a six day vacation, we always choose the summer. We have been the last two years in August and as long as you are near the water the breeze is wonderful. Stay in the shade, keep close to the pool or ocean, and you will have a wonderful time!