We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What got hit worse, Cozumel or Cancun?

New Hope, PA
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What got hit worse, Cozumel or Cancun?

Hi everybody. We are going to Cancun next week. I am getting mixed reports. Someone said Cozumel got hit real bad and Cancun just a little. Then I heard vice versa. How is Cancun looking now? Should we bother to visit Cozumel. Cozumel sounds beautiful. Thanks for any insight. Chrissy

Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What got hit worse, Cozumel or Cancun?

Cozumel got his worse than Cancun. I think it is still worth a visit though. Hubby and I visited before Christmas and were pretty sad about how the buildings looked, but the beaches were great and the snorkelling is still there. That was a while ago now, so I am sure that things have improved since then.

Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What got hit worse, Cozumel or Cancun?

Yeah, neither place got all that lucky... Look at it this way... Cozumel took one for the team with Wilma....Coz took the brunt of the force, which in a sense helped Playa del Carmen escape some of the worst.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What got hit worse, Cozumel or Cancun?

Cozumel may have taken a harder hit, but it appears that they are recovering faster. Many of the hotels are locally owned and they did not wait on insurance money for rebuilding. The shallow reefs are reported to have damage, but the deep ones are okay. Most of the restaurants and shops in town are now open. Only a few of the southern resorts are not yet open.

For excellent pictures showing the quick recovery of Cozumel, go to www.antonioscozumel.com.