We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

I am renting a private villa the first week of May and have just received an email from the owner about sharks. The email was forwarded directly from the Villa Nizuc (south end of HZ km20) property manager. It stated:

Due to the presence of sharks, the authorithy (Civil Protection) has issued instructions to our lifeguard, <name removed> who is the highest authorithy on the beach, to monitor that no one go into the sea more than 15 meters. It is for your own safety.

Guess we will stick to the pool. I will wade in to the ocean but not swim like I normally do. Bummer

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

After recent shark bitings I would not need an email advising to stay out of the ocean.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

Well this the first official kind of warning I've seen. And searching for info online I only see two attacks? One in Jan and another in Mar? Not to dismiss them but I am wondering if there have been more that I am not aware of?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

Just the ones at the airport

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

Better not drive an automobile or ride in one either. Or a bus, or shuttle. The odds are magnitudes higher that you will be critically injured or killed in one doing so.

You might just want to stay in bead with the covers over your head.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 13:15
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

...in bed.

Sounds like the end of a fortune cookie. ;)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

I personally am hoping to see more sharks on my scuba dives this year with the possible increase in activity. Can't wait till July.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

Wooow, that's to bad. The beach along that stretch right know( in between Playa Delfines and The Club Med) its amazing!

Guess more beach for me = )!!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Delfines
Playa Delfines
4,814 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

There was a shark sighting in front of our hotel (Gran Caribe Park Royal) the week of 3/29 to 4/4.

The Lifegauards whistled everyone out of the water. you could easily see them about 100 yds off shore. Lasted about an hour.

My daughters happen to parasail directly over them at the time!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

I agree with bellasogno....two attacks should not make for panic, IMO.

Actually, the last post is ironic, too.....I wonder how many tourists have been killed or injured parasailing in Mexico? Or car accidents, or slips and falls, or drownings, versus shark attacks?

Edited: 19 April 2011, 17:19
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shark warning issued from Civil Authority

The third one was days after the second, down to the south in the Riviera Maya. Thankfully this one wasn't too serious.

But like the other said - the odds of getting hit by a bus or speeding motorist in the hotelzone are far higher - it's not like you're not going to cross the street during your entire vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico