We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

I just returned from the Royal in Cancun.

The hotel staff had business cards with the Royal and Tripadvisor logo's imprinted on them. And then after a special event, or meal, they would hand you the card and encourage you to give the resort a good review, and to add favorable comments on the survey at the end of your stay.

Upon departure, the Resort even attached luggage tags to our luggage with the Royal and Tripadvisor logos.

I think this is going a little too far. Anyone else?

okla
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

I think it is good that they encouraged you to do a review. but I think your review should be your actual opinion and experience.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

I wonder if they got permission to use Tripadvisor's logo.

If they didn't, I am not sure TA would like that.

If they did, that doesn't look very good on TA's part.

I don't think it is tacky. Been there twice and didn't notice anything like that. Even wore a TA t-shirt for check in and they didn't bat an eye.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

I don't know how much time you spend on VARIOUS TA forums, but it is always interesting to me to look at the hotels and restaurants that float to and stay on or near the top ( on the first page or so). Sheer NUMBERS of reviews-- especially positive ones-- guarantee this happens in spite of the fact that some really fabulous (and often far better) - - properties don't show up until you get three pages or so in.

This is far more likely the case on smaller forums, of course. Take Atlantic City where a gyro stand ruled at Number 1 for years as the best restaurant in Atlantic City. Now if I made a trip to Atlantic City and made a bee-line for the ( former) #1 rated eatery there, I have to tell you I'd be MIGHTY disappointed. Not that it doesn't have great gyros, but I can personally name off the top of my head at least ten places that serve better food.

Now to your question: Is it tacky? Yes, I think it is but TA has set the industry on wobbly pins, and I think you will see this "begging" happening more and more. I read AND write reviews, but IF I did so at the prodding of the establishment, I would absolutely include that as part of my review.

Thanks for posting!

LI NY
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

It seems to be a trend to promote business for the resorts.

The Palace group are also handing out cards to encourage

return Don't know if tripadvisor logo on it.

if u read Palace reviews many names are mentioned for good service etc but there is not enough content in the review to judge the pro's n cons of the hotels.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

I've never seen this on our Cancun trips, but we'll be at Beach Palace in June and see.

After we returned from our Punta Cana trip I got an e-mail from the hotel asking me to write a review on TA after I had send them a thank you e-mail.

I agree with FineMind, the reviewers should include the prompting by the hotel staff in their review.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

Very tacky indeed!

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

The resort industry is not the only one who does this (car dealers, restaurants, etc). If this is a subtle way of asking for a good review, OK, but in fairness, I think resort management should give more responses to reviews. Not only for the good ones but also for the negatives, and not just pat answers that they are sorry for the inconvenience. That's not going to make me want to return.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
140 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

With the thousands of posts on this forum, it is apparent that TA plays a major role in the decision making process for a sizable segment of the Cancun market. You can't blame hotels for focusing on an effective marketing tool that costs them nothing.

I have seen staffers looking for positive comments on hotel exit surveys in several resorts around the Caribbean and Mexico. Resorts give their employees incentives--bonuses, promotions and recognition when they get positive feedbacks from guests.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 15:36
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

Not tacky - resorts that do this are proud of their product and not worried about negative reviews. It's the ones that don't do it that may have more things to hide...jmho.

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it tacky to beg for a good Tripadvisor Review?

I agree it is a little tacky, but utimately I think it is a good thing. Bottom line is that a business card is not going to encourage anyone to write a positive review, but if it encourages them to write a review or even become familiar with TA then that is a good thing. The more reviews there are the more information potential travelers will have to make their decisions. Keep in mind also that this could backfire on them as a guest that did not have a favorable experience that was not aware of TA now has an outlet to voice thier frustrations.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 17:33