We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nextel in Cancun

bloomington, il
8 posts
Save Topic
Nextel in Cancun

Can anybody tell me if Nextel phones work for either cellular or Direct Connect?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nextel in Cancun

We were wondering the same thing. I posted this question under the verison thread. Probably better that it has it's own.

chicago il
Level Contributor
512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nextel in Cancun

I have nextel service.I contacted them our phones will not work in cancun.Posts have said to purchase phone cards in cancun they are the way to go . 12 days to sun!!!! Enjoy

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nextel in Cancun

Thanks 42Timer that'll be one less thing to carry around and keep track of on the trip.

Bloomington, IL
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nextel in Cancun

I called Nextel and they said as long as I added International caling to my plan, they would work. Now I'm wondering if I added it for nothing. I tried to call them tonight, but they're closed. I'll call tomorrow and post what I find out.

New York
Level Contributor
414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nextel in Cancun

I believe you would have to 'rent' a certain phone to use it internationally. It's not as simple as just adding international to your own personal phone. Personally I dont think its worth the hassle...just get a calling card. The daily rate to rent the international phone is around $8/per day and then you pay like $2/per minute to use it. I could be wrong but when I inquired last summer thats what I understood. :-)

Bloomington, IL
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nextel in Cancun

Just got off the phone with Nextel. There is no service in Cancun. Leave your Nextel at home! The person who had helped me gave me the wrong information. I had International calling taken off of my phone.

Bloomington, IL
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nextel in Cancun

Has anyone ever bought calling cards in the US to take to Mexico and use? What about using calling cards from your hotel room phone, it is better to use a pay/public phone?

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nextel in Cancun

I went Cancun in the spring last year, and mine did not work. I called Nextel in the summer to inquire about the service there for somebody at work who was going. I was told they would work, I didn't believe the person, so I called later the same day and got another operator who then told me they would not work. You could always take it and see, if not leave it in your room safe all week, that's what I ended up doing. My friend that was with me had Verizon and her's worked but it was WAY expensive!!

Philly, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nextel in Cancun

Nextel does not work in Cancun. My boss and his family just got back and said so. P.S. They added the international plan and all it did was cost them money.