We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance from GCPS?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Walking distance from GCPS?

Are any nice restaurants within walking distance of the GCPS? Thinking of going off property for one night for our anniversary. Thanks! Love this forum!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

A short walk from your hotel is the restaurant Puerto Madero. Excellente steaks and a very popular place. Another one walking distance is La Dolce Vita which is a high end italian restaurant overlooking the lagoon.

If you are willing to walk a little further you camn walk down to Laguna Grill which is in front of the Cancun Oasis. This is my favorite restaurant for a romantic dinner. I took my girlfriend there last week and she loved it. It may be a little far to walk. (a little over a mile) you could take a cab there and be there in about 3 minutes.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

triggins...The Hacienda Sisel (in front of the Royal Sands) has gotten some good reviews. They and dinner and a show. It's well within walking distance. They also have a Sunday brunch.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

Another good choice Ladybug. I had a mental block and started visually walking the opposite direction. There are also a few nice restaurants in Kulkulcan mall.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

“triggins...The Hacienda Sisel (in front of the Royal Sands) has gotten some good reviews. They and dinner and a show. It's well within walking distance. They also have a Sunday brunch”

Hmm. I guess we weren’t as lucky. We ate at the Hacienda 3 times while staying at the RS… the show was just ok. There is some dancing afterwards, to oldies type music. Very few danced – some kids were running across the floor and one tot looked like he was having a seizure (possibly dancing?) Romantic it is not. Most food items sucked, nothing terrible but bland and blah nevertheless. The only thing that was ok, was a seafood combo ($45 for 2). Not great, just ok.

We also went to Faros (eek), Mango Tango (ok), Lorenzillos (ok), and Ruth Chris (good) – also, looking for that ‘especial” dinner while staying at the Sands.

Speaking from experience, a dinner at Shangri La at GCPS fared so much better! Food is good if not great, wonderful drinks (try the Portuguese red wine they serve). Deserts and service and ambiance though are truly five star. A place like that in Chicago runs us about 120-200 per couple. Not to discourage you from going out 

I really do think Shangri La is the best value for the occasion. You can always just peek in and check it out (menu, etc) once at the GCPS, before going elsewhere.

n

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

I agree with chichick about the Shangri La! We were there begin Jan. We ate at Shangri La twice. Very good. They do post the current day and the next days menu outside so you can decide before you get in there, menus do change daily.

We only ate off property once. We went to Isla Mujeres for the day and had lunch outside at a restaurant there.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

We also had dinner three times at ShangriLa while at GCP. Hugo was our waiter and he was exceptional. Our meals there were outstanding and probably had the best beef I ever had in Mexico. Their deserts are the best!

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

Is the Shangri La the restaurant which you have to dress up for, and what do they serve there?

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

debi...Shangri La is a dress up restaurant but requires no reservations. Men must wear long pants, shirts with a collar and no open toed shoes. Women were dressed nicely, some even had evening dress. The menu changes every day so it's hard to say what's on the menu. They have five courses: appetizers, salads, soups, entrees and deserts. Every desert we tried was excellent. It was some of the best food I've had in Cancun. Our waiter was Hugo and he was exceptional.

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

I don't like dressing up on vacation, so I just wore nice pants to eat there. Someone had mentioned on here before we went that the portions are small so order an appetizer, soup, salad, main course, desert. That was perfect! And of course you get to try more things that way!

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking distance from GCPS?

"Every desert we tried was excellent. It was some of the best food I've had in Cancun"

ooh, yes. They have this white chocolate truffle cake... omg. All deserts rocked. Not your typical "resort" desert that tastes like a chep b-day cake from a local supermarket. The real deal - taste and presentation.

A few times we stoped there just for desert after eating dinner at a different restaurant (yes you can do that). A pice of cake and a cup of coffee or a sombrero drink.

n