We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

I've been a frequent TA lurker for business trips and have to admit (while blushing) I have not been a great contributer to this great site. Promise this will change! This is the first time I have used it outside of business travel to book a pleasure trip and am more than pleasantly surprised about the info I have received. So.. have looked for this topic on the Sun Palace and come up blank. Leaving on June 4th so please help me and all future travellers!

Kick off question is:

I've booked an oceanfront room what is best for full balcony oceanfront, not concerned about minor noise but don't want to be above the party place at 1:00am?

Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

We were lucky enough to be put in a corner room on the 6th floor (624). These rooms have the huge balconies with the double, padded recliners. We had incredible views and no noise from down below. Send them an email, kindly requesting the 6th floor. It doesn't hurt to try!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

No worries about being "above the party place at 1:00 am". Sun Palace is pretty dead after dark, and certainly dead at 1:00 am.

Agree with RB...6th floor has the biggest balconies (we had room 624 also!), but as long as you don't get a 7th or 8th floor room (very small balconies), you'll have a decent size. If for any reason you are not happy with your room, just kindly ask if they can move you. In our experience, they will do everything they can to accommodate you.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

"No worries about being "above the party place at 1:00 am". Sun Palace is pretty dead after dark, and certainly dead at 1:00 am."

Well, not when we're there. LOL. We've strolled in the lounge area with friends previously after being in town at 12:45 when it was the Sun's normal "almost time to turn in" crowd... and had everyone in the place doing multiple back to back tequila shots followed by inviting everyone in the bar up to our room once they shut it down (only about 12-14 people showed up though).

I've said before the Sun has just as much of an opportunity to be "rowdy" as any other resort- just needs the proper instigator. :)

Edited: 19 May 2011, 13:35
Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

We have been in a room above the party pool and there is no party at 1am...and we loved the view! I don't think you can go wrong. We upgraded to Concierge level last year with our palace credits and it was Great! Sun Palace is a great place we have met alot of life long friends there and have great memories! We are going to try ASP this year and am sure that we will love it also! Any other questions I would be happy to help if I can! There is a great group that has alot of people that go to Palace resorts on FB if you are on there message me and I can give you the name. It is very helpful and you can get alot of info there!:) Have agreat trip you will love it!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

The 6th floor balconies are awesome.

They are walled off from the adjacent balconies, which could block the sun depending on its angle, but when the sun is right, you can sunbathe in private.

In the evening, you can cuddle with your partner on the lounge.

The 7th and 8th floor balconies look down into the extended part of the 6th floor balcony, but can't see onto the the covered part of the balcony.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

How about... must eat items on the menus? (please let us know the restaurant)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

Geordie~ We really loved the Spaghetti Bolognese at the Italian restaurant...completely unexpected considering I'm Sicilian and generally don't like anyone else's southern Italian cuisine. So good that my husband had it twice. Also really loved the shrimp appetizer at the Oriental Lounge.

I think I have a photo of the menu from the Italian restaurant. It might have changed a little, but it would give you a good idea. PM me your email if you'd like me to send it to you.

Sw Ohio
Level Contributor
893 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

The spinach-parmessan fusion soup in the Italian is awesome!

Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

My favorites were the filet mignon in the Italian restaurant and the spring rolls in the Oriental lounge. Sunsets from the Oriental are amazing, too!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,770 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Palace - FAQ - Insider Tips...

We did the dinner on the beach....actually did the Romantic Dinner and the one included with the Concierge room......excellent!! The beef is excellent. I had the fillet mignon from the concierge room service menu...mexican I think....it was amazing. We had great meals everywhere. The oriental could use a little larger menu but the atmosphere is amazing. Went there for after dinner drinks one night too.....beautiful. Not many people seemed to go there when we were there....occupancy was low though. The lobby bar was excellent. It was lively when we were there for sure. They have a great entertainment team with fun games and great music. The band that comes was fantastic and lots of drinking and dancing going on when we were there. It was a very pleasant surprise!! Loved it!!

We had a concierge room....308 I believe....huge room, close to beach overlooking the quiet pools. It was very private without anything to interfere with view. Loved it.