We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what food can you take into Mexico

Pleasant Grove, Utah
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what food can you take into Mexico

Can you take things like unopened bags of cereal, crackers, into mexico without a problem? We (five of us)are staying at the royal carribean for a week and have an hr stop at walmart but i wanted to bring a few things. Thank you.

139 replies to this topic
Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

You can bring what you mentioned in no problem. Wal-Mart does have a huge selection of both here mind you.

It is fruit or meat products that you would have an issue with.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
607 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

Basically the no no's include

Plants

Seeds (be careful, this inclused things you might bring as snacks such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, trail mixes, etc)

Fruits

Nuts

Berries

Meats (or meat products)

I think this covers most of it.

Edited: 03 June 2011, 17:03
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
607 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

PS: This applies to what you can bring back in the other way to (like to the US). So be careful what you buy for souviners

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

For me, not worth the trouble. Buy what you need at Walmart.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

We flew into Cancun in Dec 2011 with pasta, wine, scotch, cereal, and spices and crackers. Always take Solo red cups with us also as we are at a timeshare for almost 2 weeks. The one thing I will try to fly in next time is canned green beans--sound crazy but Mexico is not big on green vege's. Just because it is a Walmart do not except to get the variety of American foods.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

We took ground coffee and half & half (ultra pasteurized mini-moos) earlier this month. After the x-ray, they singles out the bag that contained the stuff for closer inspection. They let us keep everything. It was a small hassle but having real coffee with real cream every morning was worth it. Good ground coffee can be hard to find on Isla Mujeres.

Edited: 26 May 2012, 15:16
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

they have food and coffee in Mexico

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

They don't have half & half and as I stated, "good ground coffee can be hard to find on Isla Mujeres."

Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
450 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

I took trail mix, granola bars and peanut butter crackers a few weeks ago when I went down and didn't have any issues. Last year they searched my bag because I had nuts in it, but when they seen that it was trail mix and that the bag was not opened, they were fine with it. Just be prepared to lose it, sometimes they let you keep it, sometimes they don't. Just go along with them, and don't get an attitude or anything about pulling your stuff out of your suitcases and they are usually pretty easy to deal with.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what food can you take into Mexico

How about supporting the local Mexicans and buy in little Mexican owned stores instead of Walmart. Little tiendas have coffee, milk, crackers, nuts, cereal and pretty much anything else you want. It's nice to inject a little tourist money into Mexican businesses that are not American owned. As tourists, we should try to give a little back to the communities we visit.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 18:59
Reply to: what food can you take into Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted