We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travellers cheques

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
travellers cheques

ordering my money now and i am just wondering what people think about the following

i am getting £500 sterling in pesos and £750 in travellers cheques now my theory could be that instead of getting the tc in dollars i might from a financial point of view be better off getting the tc in sterling and changing straight to pesos as apose to changing cash to dollar tc to peso.

just possibly think that maybe its a better option?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travellers cheques

do you know a place to cash the TC's? they are fast becoming a thing of the past. skip the usd as you will then pay for 2 conversions instead of just converting from #'s to pesos

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travellers cheques

TC's are so much of a hassle, you need to have ID when cashing them and you are stuck with the exchange rate of the place you are cashing them at.

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travellers cheques

dont like using my card. tc are usually easily cashed no?i have always done them at the hotel reception or at bureau de changes i thought the hasse of them is surely worth putting up with from a security point of view

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travellers cheques

cards work fine

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travellers cheques

Little to no issue from this end in cashing Travelers Cheques in the Cancun area, most major hotels, banks and cambios readily exchange them for pesos and here in the US, the AAA location I utilize provides them at no additional fee for acquisition with their membership. They also provide theft protection and back-up in the event of power outages or broken ATM machines versus the cards.

They also provide for me the additional advantage of avoiding the limited cash exchange available for US Dollars to Pesos while there.

In any any event, I always advise a mix of Cash, Travelers Cheques and Plastic when traveling.

I recommend pesos, particularly off resort and do caution that with ATM's there's been enough cases of card swiping machine scams to be vigilant when using them. Also keep an eye on credit receipts upon return from your trip to make sure that any establishment where you used plastic doesn't have some unscrupulous employees attempting to snag the numbers for charges later.

For exchanges to pesos before leaving for Mexico, I usually use EZForex from the US anyway if necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travellers cheques

We brought a combination of pesos and traveler's checks, this was our first year taking and using mostly pesos and it worked out great. No problem cashing the TC at the resort, although they would only cash for pesos not US dollars, no big deal. We were shopping at La Isla Mall and had a bit of a hassle using the TC even though the prices of the purchases were listed in US dollars. The employees (took both of them to figure out how to handle it) had to call their boss to get permission then had trouble printing out a receipt, they said it was because we paid with TCs, had to leave the store and come back 5 min later, then got our receipt. Second purchase at a kiosk with TC was no problem even though the guy seemed like he hadn't seen one before, we explained it was just like US dollars and he took it with no problem, got change in pesos.

We have always taken TC over the last 4 years, this year they seemed more of a hassle than in the past, not sure if we'll bother taking them next year or just take pesos with some US as back up.

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travellers cheques

i have always taken majority in traveller cheques didnt realise they were becoming a problem

8. Re: travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 18:20