We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
436 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Just back from Cancun. Flew Aeromexico all was fine even a (gasp) sandwich on the plane. But upon arrival in Cancun-no luggage. Filled out a lost luggage report and was promised my luggage by that evening if not the next day for sure. I know I should have put some clothes, swimwear in my carry on but I hadn't. So had to purchase some things at Walmart of course the selection was limited. Tried Sears also and could only find a pair of shorts and you dont want to know how much I paid for them. Finally received my luggage two days later but what recourse do I have with the airline? I know I can probably be reimbursed for my purchases but what about the few days I could not plan any activities as I was missing my things?? And how do I file a claim with them? Otherwise a beautiful time in Cancun after a bumpy start.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

i would guess you would file a claim with the airline which means you contact the airline.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Ah.....what I loved about your post...."almost". Glad it didn't ruin your vacation. I hope you had a wonderful time...in spite of luggage issues.

Cheryl

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Claim off your insurance policy and be compensated ?

glad you had a good time once luggage arrived

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

If you had insurance, contact them and file a claim. If you didn't, then contact the airline.

Forget compensation for your "lost" vacation time - it's too hard to quantify and I feel sure that both the insurance company and the airline would take the view that you voluntarily chose to curtail your activities and thus didn't suffer any actual loss. Unless you can prove otherwise of course, e.g.. that your luggage contained something so vital that you were essentially unable to leave your room for two days.

Of course, that begs the question, what on earth was in your checked luggage that was so essential to your vacation "activities"? Heck, for my first few days, all I need is a bathing suit, sunscreen and sunglasses and I'm good to go ..... and there's always room service for dinner, so no clothes required for that at all! Even if you had excursions planned, could you not wear your travel clothes or your new spendy Sears shorts?

Edited: 05 June 2011, 15:38
In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Glad to hear you were able to rescue your vacation and now realize that one of the #1 rules of travel is to have a back up set of clothing in the carry-on, including must have personal and valuables in immediate possession.

Unfortunately, luggage delays, loss, damage etc is one of those headaches in travel that happen often enough that it's become all to familiar and not just a plight of those traveling AeroMexico. A couple years back, the luggage problems via USAir were becoming legendary.

As previously stated, check your airlines policy and check for any potential remuneration you may have via additional travel insurance etc.

One of our favorite sayings before leaving, if we forgot it, we can get it there when it comes to clothing items or other items; a PITA for sure, but I can be fully outfitted for a couple hundred bucks in an hour (not to my usual standards but good enough to get by) or so just stopping at the Caracol Mall in the Hotel Zone of Plaza Las America's in the downtown in a pinch.

But, great to hear you made the best of it! ;-)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Heck, I could be outfitted in the resort gift shop at the Royal Islander or the Royal Sands in 30 minutes. One bathing suit, one pair of flip flops and one cover up and I'm ready for the pool and dinner....you can always eat poolside or order room service. We chased luggage one trip around Europe. Not worth it and will never do it again.

Cheryl

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Sansa Airlines in Costa Rica lost my bag enroute to the Osa Peninsula. No stores there. Actually, that isn't true. We found a small tienda where we bought a toothbrush and toothpaste. Yea, should have had stuff in a carry on, but it was tight packing for that trip, 20 pounds per person, including carry on. Who would have thought such a small airline could lose a bag on a nonstop flight????

Fortunately, the bag showed up the next day, but it did rearrange our schedule, since we had no bathing suits.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Having worked for an airline , I can tell you many baggage stories. The strangest that happened to me was a few years ago when Aerocaribe was still in business, they lost my bag between Cozumel and Cancun. Dont think it was lost but think it was removed for weight reasons due to a heavy passenger loads, which is a fairly frequent occurance with the airlines.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Feel lucky that you eventually got your luggage. My daughter is law is still waiting for hers to be found - two years later. She did have things in her carry on, but not enough to get through 10 days vac. Airline would have given her $25 a day ( after the first 24 hours and up to 3 days) if she went to the airport each day to get it but that would have cost $70 round trip by cab. The worst of the problem was how the first 3 days the airline kept saying it would be on the next flght when they never even knew where it was. She eventually received compensation from both air line and trip insurance, but it was a really big run around by the airline.

Be aware that you have to itemize what was lost and if you have receipts for items, they want that. Luckily she did as she bought a lot of new things for her vacation. Me, lol, I don't have receipts for clothing that is a few years old.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aeromexico almost ruined my vacation....

Cheryl, heck I could do that too, not even, just pop out the carry on stuff, but if I got dressed from my regular hotel's gift shop, I'd look like I worked there, or worse, I'd look like I worked for Apple Vacations.

Now, that would be a real nightmare vacation. ;-)