We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

I see that Royal Sands rates highly as a family resort; do you think it would be worth going for a few very active single women in their late 20s-early 30s?

Are there any fun daytime activities? Nightlife? Organized club tours? Is it overrun with kids and crowded?

Not at all interested in "hooking" up and getting wasted, just a relaxing getaway at a great beach.

Also, there is a possibility of my gal friends not be able to go at all; would you say it would be safe and not mind-numbingly boring for one woman to stay there alone?

Any young women ever traveled to Cancun alone? Is it a bad idea alltogether? I don't want to go to Club Med or Blue Bay - either doesn't sound like my type of place.

I found an outstanding deal on a timeshare rental + airfare, don't want to pass it up, but terrified of going by myself at the same time :) Golden Crown Paradise Spa which I'm familiar with (my top choice) is booked on the dates that I need, so I'm tempted by the Royal Sands.... nice looking property.

Any feedback is appreciated!

canton, mi
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

I've stayed there several times. It seems to be mostly families. Not too many young people unless they are with their parents. It's pretty quiet there, but a beautiful resort with very nice rooms. The place is spotless and staff serve you well, ut don't ask too many questions about food. They just say yes and have no idea what you asked usually--little Eng. Not being into night life, there are clubs all over town you could try out.

It would be very safe to stay there. If you take the bus, look out for pick pockets. If you are standing and someone jostles you, that's the attempt because they work in pairs--one to jostle and one to pick. Happened to us once, but we caught the hand in the fanny pack and he dropped everything and quickly got off. That is the only problem we have ever had. There are malls that you can take the bus to and that is also safe. That is the only problem we have ever had. Taxis are fine too, but much more expensive. You would definitely have a relaxing vacation at the beach. They have a travel desk there that you can arrange tours. They go in huge buses to Xcaret, Xel ha, Tulum etc. so that would also be very safe. Parasailing and jetskis are for rent on the beach. They also have a store on the premises that you where you can buy food. Do a search on Cancun bulletin boards or Cancun travel and you can find out a lot just reading there. S.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

Thank you for replying! Good point, re: buses, etc.

I was wondering if Royal Sands resort itself is safe enough for one girl :)

I would never actually leave the resort grounds and venture out completely ON MY OWN (taking bus, taxi, etc) unless it was a guided tour of some sort. Safety first. Oh, and the fact that I speak virtually no Spanish at all.

I guess I'll survive my first trip alone if I don't go anywhere... Don't really need to - I can find great clubs/shopping, etc, right where I live in Chicago. No wild parties, I'm just really after the ocean and some sun.

I think I saw "take a vacation alone" on Cosmo's "50 things to do before you turn 30" (although I'd much rather have my buds to go with).

If anyone is going to be at Royal Sands Feb 19-26, please post and say hello :)

Level Contributor
85 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

We are going to be at the Royal Sands Feb 19 -26th, arriving around 9:05am. My 24 yr old daughter and 26 yr old son will be with us. They are hoping to meet people that they can do things with. We are planning on snorkeling, swimming with the dolphins, parasailing, etc. They also want to check out the bars. If you would like to meet up, we can arrange something to see if you would like to do something together.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

If you're just looking for some relaxation in the sun, then the Royal Sands is an EXCELLENT place to be. Yes, it's plenty safe, and as mentioned before, the facilities are phenomenal! It is more families, as referred to earlier, and you won't see much turnover from day to day, because it's primarily a timeshare, and everybody arrives and leaves usually on the same day, give or take. So you might luck out and meet some really cool people while you're down there, or you might end up rather bored....it's very hit or miss....

But if you're just looking for a place to relax on the beach and in the sun, I would HIGHLY recommend the Sands....Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

First, yes the resort is Very safe. We have stayed there 3 times (my wife and I ages 29 & 30) with our 2 young kids. Most everyone in Cancun can speak English enough to communicate so don't worry about learning spanish. Cancun itself is probably one of the safest destinations in the Carribean. We have traveld to Aruba, Jamaica, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, etc. We finally decided last year it is no longer worth the effort to go anywhere else but Cancun.....It's safe, there is so much to do, It's clean, and the beaches are beautiful. We have never had a problem with crime. My mother-in-law has gone several times by herself and even ventures down town and has never had a problem. You will definitely meet people while you are there to go out with. Those who stay at the Sands are not the Usual Party, One-night-stand types. The food at the sands is not bad for being a hotel and the pool bar is always a good time. Don't be afraid to venture through the hotel zone with the shopping and bars, especially during the day. It's very easy to get around on the public bus that runs constantly up and down the hotel zone. You really never need a taxi. Finally, Don't worry about safety!! Common sense is all you need, just like any larger city in America.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

Thank you, all! Makes me feel much better; Royal Sands does sound like a great place - all the reviews can't be wrong ;) A mixture of ages is a good thing.

I'll make sure to post mine, if I decide to go.

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

GO! GO alone, if you have to. I go alone often and have a blast. You will meet so many people and you don't have to worry about keeping the other person happy or worried if their bored. I think going to the Royal Sands alone is perfect. Many other people the same age there as couples or singles just looking for good conversation and having fun in the sun.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

Well, it's done - booked and set to go, 02/19 through 02/26. Still working on talking my friend into joining me, but so far it's just me :) Looking forward to it very much.

It looks like there are at least a few people "non-family" people in the twenty-something, thirty-something range, so I won't stick out like a sore thumb. I'm sure we can chat at the pool/bar, etc.

Last thing - for all who stayed at the Royal Sands; I understand that you use a room key as your credit card, correct?

Do you carry dollar singles for tipping or add it to a bill?

Does the grocery store there offer fresh fruit and juice?

Also, can someone tell me what the drinks' price range is and which are great - and which not to order.

Also - best options for lunch and dinner, please.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
342 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

Holy questions Batman!!

First, you do not need cash on the resort for anything....it is all tracked via room key. Second, yes the grocerystore has fresh fruit and jucie. Lastly, I don't recall the drink prices, but I do know they are reasonable. On our last trip we spent alot of time ordering drinks on the beach and at the pool bar and our final bill was not that bad..........Watch our for the Grande Margarita.....I don't know what they put in it but I recall sitting at the pool bar one afternoon sipping one and sliding off of the barstool..........not the smartest thing to do in a pool. Luckily my wife was not as toasted as I was......Most of the drinks are pretty darn good, just ask the bartenders what they recommend, and always go with Cuervo Gold!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Sands - Bad for singles?... Please advise.

The grocery store there has TONS of selection, and the prices are VERY reasonable. You really won't have to leave the resort at all your whole visit, if you choose not to!