We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yucatan Tropical Depression???

Miami, Florida
13 posts
Save Topic
Yucatan Tropical Depression???

What the heck is going on down there starting Sunday the 26th??

Weather forecast calls for heavy rain,thunderstorms and strong winds gusting up to close to 40mph for 4 straight days until wednesday the 29th!!

Those of you with travel insurance should reconsider. Those of us without are massively SCREWED.

Amarillo Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

are you referring to this:

businessweek.com/news/2010-06-26/tropical-st…

that is from 6/26 of 2010!?

Miami, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

No...this week.

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

what a doom merchant !

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

everyday calls for rain and thunderstorms. I've been 3 times during hurricane season and have seen a grand total of 3 hours of rain in those 3 trips. RELAX! Don't get people worked up and in a tizzy. Do your research before your trip - you booked during the rainy/hurricane season and that's why you got a good price!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Folks, please do a bit of reasonable research before causing alarm. Nothing is there.

Miami, Florida
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

Have you guys checked??

Go to windfinder or windguru.com and check under mexico, cancun then get back with me .

Just want to give those of us traveling within the next few days a heads up.

Dont kill the messenger.

Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

I don't see anything like that on the weather website I'm looking at (Accuweather). I see a higher CHANCE of rain those days, but not an all-day thing and not strong winds. The thing you have to remember about dealing with weather forecasts in the tropics is that they're notoriously WRONG in the long-range (and I'm talking behind more than a day or two) this time of year because one little thing can make a big difference. When I was checking the forecast for Cancun last week for THIS week, it was showing a 60-70% chance of rain every day. Today...no rain forecast at all and the same for tomorrow. So, I'm not guaranteeing "no rain" for your trip, but I'm saying that it would be foolish to make plans to cancel based on the forecast right now.

Central Nebraska
Level Contributor
404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

" heavy rain,thunderstorms and strong winds gusting up to close to 40mph for 4 straight days "

sounds like the weather we deal with all the time. why would I cancel a vacation due to a forcast like this? at least I'd be on vacation and not at work . Go, enjoy some relaxation!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
713 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

Both site's you have mentioned seem to me more to do with checking wind conditions for windsurfing etc. rather than just weather sites, and even then they have the temp between 27 - 30, which is a good temp.

Most sites look exactly like they do every day for the last year or so i have been checking, between 20 - 90 per cent chance it will rain (this could be for 5 minutes in the day though, doesn't say all day) and chance of thunder storms, and like many people have said, its a tropical climate so it always seems to say that.

We were there last Oct when a hurricane Paula hit near Cozumel, all we got in Cancun was a around 16hours of rain and stuck inside a hotel with all you can eat food, drink, room service, before and after we amazing weather.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Yucatan Tropical Depression???

You created an account to post this?

Date Posted Forum Topic

Jun 23, 2011 Cancun Yucatan Tropical Depression???

Jun 23, 2011 Playa del Carmen Weather ..thunderstorms always forecasted?

Jun 22, 2011 Yucatan Peninsula RAIN,RAIN,RAIN!!... all week in Mayan Riviera??