We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Palace Sickness

NY
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Palace Sickness

I am reading alot of reviews about people getting sick at the Cancun Palace. I am bringing people down there for my wedding and I am getting nervous. Is anyone else concerned?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

I feel like you have been planning your wedding for years now...when is it finally happening?

NY
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

i've actually been engaged for 18 month (thanks for noticing!) july 15

NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

I've stayed at Cancun palace twice and have visited Cancun 9 times without any illness. My rules:

1. Don't drink the water...not even for brushing teeth

2. Use hand sanitizer liberally. Every time you touch a hand rail, you are shaking hands with everyone who has touched that rail.

3. Start taking acidophilus pearls a week before leaving the US.

4. Be suspect of any raw vegetables

5. At any open grill, watch the way the cook uses his utensils. I've seen one put raw chicken on the grill and immediately use the same tongs to take chicken off.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

Have there been any recent reports of more illness?

Hornchurch, Essex
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

I'm gettin really worried about all these reports of sickness at Cancun Palace. Due to go there on 3rd August with husband and two daughters, wonder if there have been any more reports as thinking of moving to Moon Palace.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,364 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

Keep reading the boards and the reviews and let that be your guide. Probably norvovirus.

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

If it's noro, that's some nasty stuff. Handrails would be a primary path of transmission. Noro would likely affect large numbers of guests and workers.

One reviewer specifically mentioned e-coli. Raw vegetables/fruits likely problem, as well as undercooked meat.

An interesting fact is lots of the food at the palaces is prepared at Moon Palace. If it were e-coli, you'd likely also see outbreaks at Moon, Sun and Beach Palaces. Use of cooking utensils would be the wild card

Edited: 08 July 2011, 02:26
Mentioned in this post
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,364 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

We recently returned from a week at Moon Palace. All 4 of us were sick with stomach issues a couple days in to the trip and for the rest of the week. We got home friday and my husband is still not well. Not sure if it was the food or the ice ???

Mentioned in this post
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
24,364 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
265 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

I emailed cancun palace and asked if they were taking action and they said they had not received any reports of illness. We are headed there July 30th and this is the first time I am even remotely concerned. Will definitely carry sanitizer, wash hands frequently, and bring antibiotics!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Palace Sickness

Outbreaks of food poisoning are more likely to occur at all inclusive hotels than in other package tour hotels as hundreds of people usually eat the same dishes at the same time and, if food is contaminated, it can cause illness among all the guests.

Read more: bukisa.com/articles/…ixzz1RU387GnR