We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
145 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

We leave in less than 2 weeks for the Sun Palace. We are in the concierge level for 7 nights. We plan to Palace Resort Hop some and go to Chichen Itza and debating about the dolphin swim.

What do you wish you knew in advance of staying at one of the Palace Resorts especially the Sun or a tip that you can share that you think would be very helpful??

Any information or insight is appreciated.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Like2cruise- Seeing how I am so active on these boards, esp. involving Palace resorts in Cancun area, there is really nothing for me to know in advance, outside of changes in palace bucks program.

Chitzen Itza will HOT hot hot, but if you never been there, bite the bullet and go. Dolphin swim was fantastic, well worth it. It turned out to be a hour long, plus you can book Wet N Wild and use the shuttle bus to get free transport. And save on park entrance instead of $59, will cost $20. Gotta do this on a day when wet n wild is not officially offered as a tour, like tuesday. You will show up 1 hour after park opens, 11am v.s. 10am.

TIP: 1. Plan how to spend your palace bucks before you arrive, and book everything you want, and the days/times you want it, ON ARRIVAL. Don't screw around with it.

TIP: 2 Ask for brand alcohol by NAME, otherwise you get well alcohol. I drink Absolute double shot screwdrivers, going to Aventura Spa Palace in 3 weeks, I will ask for a Don Julio Margarita, or Cadiliac Margarita. Get the drift?

TIP 3: TIp the bartenders, and food servers- Goes a long way to getting what you want, even before you want it. At Beach Palace when there 3 weeks ago I was getting sometimes 3 drinks, from 3 different servers without asking even one server within 5 minutes.

TIP4: Use the palace shuttle to visit Moon Palace, and Beach Palace maybe even Cancun Palace, there free to visit so why not.

TIP5: Use EXACT change for buses, 8.5 peso's per person, bus drivers will try to rip you off with the change if you don't. Giving them 20 peso's for two people is ok, they should give you the 3 peso's back.

TIP6: Hail taxi cabs if using them from the street, there is a bus-stop real close 30 yards, stand in there and neg. price. You can save 40%-60% v.s. at the front door prices.

Others will chime in with there tips as well. hope this helps

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Book your tours and spa on your day of arrival, or the next day at the latest. Anything later and you run the risk of not getting your dates of choice.

If you like red wine, you'll likely find the "free/included" Tempranillo to be better than just about anything that is on the overpriced "upgraded" wine list that you can spend your palace bucks on. Save them for other things.

The Italian restaurant there is great. Enjoy.

If you're on the beach, regardless of any "tips are included" mularky- make a point to tip the waitress the first time she brings your drinks, a buck or two is fine... then perhaps a buck every other drink or so afterwards. You'll get return visits regularly. Same with your bar staff. ;)

Once you get into the concierge floor, if you want to take advantage of the VIP seating area, with your name reserving the chairs- best be prompt. People remove them or move them if yours is in a better location. ;)

Use the City Bus. There is a stop literally right outside the hotel, and close to the Cancun and Beach Palaces as well. Cheap, easy, good transportation. Any questions about when to get off, etc just tell the bus driver where you are headed and give him a buck or two and he should announce it for you. All good.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Great advice C-bus!

I have a lot of posts with tips, just click my avatar and you can read them.

I would recommend getting a schedule from the front desk about when and where the various events, classes and shows are. Sometimes the shows at Sun Palace are in the auditorium, and to me they seemed a bit like a high school performance. The Magic show is best at Cancun Palace in the Pavillion out front, it is nice to do that show after a dinner at the Hibatchi tables. The Fire show is best at Beach Palace in front of the giant screen at the pool, I suggest planning an afternoon of shopping at the La Isla Mall, then watching the sunset from the rooftop at Beach Palace and watching the fire show from the Steak restaurant out by the pool.

There are so many fun free classes too, like towel and napkin folding, cooking, bartending, yoga, games and other stuff. My boys LOVED the towel and napkin origami! I strongly suggest the spanish lessons too, very helpful and interesting.

We have been Presidential members for over 10 years and we do enjoy Palace! Have a look at some of our posts and please feel free to ask about anything you are interested in. I could go on and on forever!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Great info by the previous posters.

Along the lines of tipping, my husband always tips each bartender (swim-up, pool and lobby bar) $20 right off the bat. They see us coming, and our drinks waiting for us! We are big on getting our own drinks, so we can make sure they are made with top-shelf. When they ran out of Grand Marnier for our margaritas at the pool bar, the bartender ran inside and got a bottle from the lobby bar. Excellent service.

The quiet infinity pools are SO nice, and there is usually some great Mexican music there instead of the 80s pop that seems to be played around the activities pool.

Have a wonderful time!

New Haven...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Excellent post and replies. COmmented to keep near top. Very useful information- THANKS!

Fort Mill, South...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Thanks a LOT for the info. We are going to the Sun Palace end of September for our 1 year anniversary.

I have a question. Is it worth using our $1500 credit towards the room upgrade? We got the standard deluxe room. A lot of reviews were saying there aren't many bad views, so we went with the cheapest. As much as I want to stay out of my room, a nice cigar on the balcony is one of my favorite things to do while on vacation, and having something nice to look at (whether it be water, or even people watching) is a must.

Also, can someone describe the jetted tubs a little. I assume they aren't as good as a full blown Jacuzzi, but is it at least better then a hot tub you'd find in the "honeymoon suite" of a cheap motel? I've had some bad experiences in the past.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

All rooms have a balcony with chairs/table, so you'll have someplace to sit and have morning coffee in whatever room you get. I would see where your assigned room is, and then decide. The only real upgrade would be to concierge which gets you some nice extras. You can go to the Palace website to see all the details.

The jacuzzi is exactly that, a large, 2 person jacuzzi. My husband is 6'1" and comfortably fits in it. We love to stay at the beach late, and then have a soak before getting ready for dinner...SO nice! Just be aware that it takes a while to fill up, and DO NOT use too many bubbles...they'll be everywhere when you turn on the jets!

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

Also, watch the floors. They can get really slippery when getting out of the jacuzzi or shower. We usually lay some bath towels down on the floor. Or get some flip flops and put a bath daisy sticker on the sole. This way you will be safe. There have been stories about people slipping and hitting their head.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

I wouldn't stress about exact change for the bus. We just give the bus driver $2 for the two of us and leave it at that.

Bristol, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish you would have known about Palace Resort??

going to sun palace in 8 weeks how do we pay the all inclusive have emailed them twice but got no reply