We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico Travel

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mexico Travel

We were looking to take our daughter on a quick trip to Mexico in October. Many people have advised us not to travel to Mexico due to the drug cartel issues. Is it really not that safe to travel here or what are others thoughts?

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico Travel

As long as you are not driving from the US to Mexico, you are fine. The violence is along the border and not in Cancun or the surrounding areas.

"Many people" generalize and advise on issues that they are not educated in.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico Travel

From the Cancun Destination Experts:

Is Cancun Safe?

Cancun is amongst the safest places to travel in Mexico and is known for its low crime rate. Other than the normal petty thievery frequent in all tourist destinations, major crime involving tourists in the tourist zones is almost non existent.

Cancun
Level Contributor
487 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico Travel

What part are you planning to travel to?

Most places are safe for tourists, with the exception of the border area.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico Travel

Bus drivers carry change in Mexico.

Do they in your town?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico Travel

Although I wouldn't want to make the trip, many people safely cross the border on a daily basis. It seems as though people have the impression that anyone who tries to cross ends up dead.......

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico Travel

I get the same thing from my family and I tell them that we have crime here too. Orlando is murder capital of the United States, so I've read. I've had at least nine murders in my small town in the past year. I feel very safe going to Mexico. Go and have a great time!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico Travel

Many people have advised us not to travel to Mexico due to the drug cartel issues"

The yucatan is very safe, time to find a better educated group of people.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico Travel

Jeanh - You are correct; many people do cross the border safely every day. I wasn't trying to discount that. I personally would not want to do it as I would be a little apprehensive. Besides, it's so much quicker to fly! :)

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico Travel

I've been living in the area...three years on Cozumel and four years in a little village outside of Tulum...since I retired and I feel very safe. There is a stronger police...local, state, and federal...presence in the area now as well as military. Although the big guns they carry frighten US citizens...we're just not used to seeing that on the streets...it is intended to make the tourists feel safer. Tourism is the driving force behind the local economy and the powers that be do all that is in their power to keep the whole area safe. I just brought my 18 year old granddaughter down last week and we drove all over the region and had a great time. No threats, close calls, or uneasy feelings anywhere we went.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico Travel

these people are better off staying home and locking their doors and not going out at all. No place is perfectly safe. We have been traveling to Mexico for years with no problems. use common sense and you will be fine