We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

After 3 bad experiences with Hertz Cancun, I feel compelled to write and to warn fellow travellers away from them.

I am a Hertz Gold member and have rented successfully from them all over the world, so this is down to the local partner who owns the franchise.

Bad Experience No. 1: Arrive New Years Even 2010/11 with a confirmed, guaranteed booking--no cars. No apology. On the contrary, I was told I could have a car in 3 days, maybe, and that I was a "sucker" for having believed I had a reservation.

Bad Experience No. 2: Arrive July 2011. Car is there as booked, but it is covered with dents and dings, is stained inside, and smells overwhelmingly of human sweat. No other car available. Hertz insisted on taking a $2,000 USD guarantee on my credit card to let me rent the car without buying their additional insurance at $50 US per day, which was more than my rental fee. When I returned the car, they both processed the rental charge on their electronic credit card machine as well as took an additional paper imprint which they insisted on keeping (normally this paper blank that has been pre-signed is ripped up and returned to you)...and they swore up and down that I would not be charged twice--will have to keep an eye on this one.

Bad Experience No. 3: I rented a car on behalf of 3 graduate students coming to Mexico to do work for me. The same guarantee is demanded. Not surprisingly, as students, none of their credit cards can handle a $2,000 charge. Hertz won't divvy the guarantee up amongst them either. In the end, in order to get a car from Hertz they have to take a new contract which costs the same for 3 days as did the original for 3 weeks. They are told by the manager on duty, an Australian chap, that they can just change the contract when they get to Merida. Not so. We all go in the next day to change the contract back to the original and Hertz won't do it. They won't now accept my credit card as the guarantee. In fact they want to charge a drop fee of $100 US even though they are keeping the same car--and want to charge a second drop fee when they return the car to Cancun

Stay away from these people, they are totally dishonest and not at all consumer friendly. In the past we have always used Executive Cars, a Mexican company, but they no longer have a location at the Cancun airport. They are good, though, and don't give you all the same awful problems. Enterprise has also been good and is at the airport. Shame on Hertz.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

Wow, sorry for your experience. Have rented from Cancun Hertz once, and must say we had no problems, other than it was very crowded.

Just got back from Cancun and used Easyway. Very good experience, and they didn't put a huge hold on our credit card. Also used Executive before, and agree, they were great, easyway is just as good, and very reasonable.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,928 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

We rented from Hertz Cancun once, too. Our experiences weren't as bad as yours but it wasn't pleasant and the upcharges were ridiculous. They are scam artists, frankly. I have to agree...stay away from them.

Cheryl

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

We had also used Hertz once back in May, but luckily had a good experience. We went through the picking up process with the "Australian chap" you mentioned. Anyhow, they didn't put a hold of $2000 on our credit card, and we did not have any problem returning the car either. Sorry to hear you had a horrible experience.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 23:10
Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

Here also an awful experience from Hertz at the Cancun airport location. I received a Chevy, all dented on the outside and dirty on the inside. Huge line and after 1+hr, I was riding in this rented car. I drove it on a Friday to the resort, larked it and needed to use on Sunday for a swim with the dolphins, the car would not start, had to pay a cab back and forth ($72) and called customer service. Finally at 6:30pm that day, I got a replacement from Playa del Carmen location. A car in a better condition. Customer service mentioned that I was to be reimbursed for the cab and also the time I could not use it, to my surprise upon returning the car in CUN, the agents mentioned there was a dent in the reem of the other car and they would not reimburse the taxi expenses. After much arguing and luckily involving customer service on the line (intl call) they agreed to deduct the taxi and void the damages they clearly invented, since when I switched the car, the agent that reviewed it found no damages. It seemed they wanted to charge me to recoup some money for the exchange.

Very dishonest people, even though they apologized (maybe to have a good impression to other customers) but it was such a bad and nasty experience. Luckily we were able to argue in Spanish and have customer service on the line on our side. Good luck if you rent from them!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

Agree with everyone above!

I just came back from a bad experience with Hertz Cancun. My wife was a gold member and we had a reservation for a minivan. We arrived to the Hertz counter to be told that they didn't have any minivans but we were more than welcome to wait 3 hours until one is returned! Keep in mind, as someone else mentioned, all of this is going on in a very tight counter area with lots of other complaining people and its 100 degrees and humid! Luckily after 30 minutes they say they would "upgrade" us to a Nissan Urvan which is a bit larger than a minivan. They showed me the picture in their brochure (which by the way shows nice new car pictures) and we moved forward with the transaction. During this process they will insist on you purchasing mexican liability insurances. I researched this way in advance and had extra coverage through our AMEX so I knew to avoid this. I had to insist to speak with a manager there until they finally let us slide on the liability insurance. Finally, they were bringing up the car and I had a contract in hand. NOT SO FAST! Someone from a counter nearby takes your paperwork to give to the car fetcher (so I thought). Acutually, I've only made it through step one of a multi step process here at Hertz. Now someone is talking with me about our trip and where we are staying. They ask about our interest in amusement parks and whether we want a free breakfast at a resort they co-own. They will push that they can get discounts at parks but you will have to vist there resort first. Also you will need to pay an "upfront" fee for this. The person will mention that they aren't paid much and this is how they make a commission. We are holding strong to not want to do this. Now the lady gets her sales manager to try to seal a deal. No go. This probably went on for 30 minutes! Where is our car? Still no car....

Finally the car pulls up. I look at my wife and we laugh (back to seeing the picture in the brochure of the new car). This car is dented everywhere. We begin the pre inspection with the hertz guy starting at the back of the car. He begins writing down the dents and issues. 20 external issues later we wrap up the outside. Oh by the way he says, the gas guage only goes up to 3/4 full. How do I know what emply is I ask. He just shrugs. As we drove away, I then noticed to that this car has 95K in miles. More than my current cars at home. We begin our long drive to Chichen Itza with a prayer. "Please lord, don't let us break down on the side of the road!"

Surprisingly, Ernesto (we named the car) made it the whole way. Maybe naming it helped. We also think because this car looked so crappy, we never got pulled over at the MANY police road stops in mexico. I think they felt sorry for us :)

I'm a life long Hertz fan but VERY dissapointed in this Cancun location. Franchise or not, they use the Hertz name and should maintain its level of service.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Harrisonburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

I am a HERTZ 5 star and have rented from HERTZ all over the place also with always good experiences except this Cancun location. I agree with the previous post and they are 100% dishonest at Cancun. The most frustrating thing was that after complaining to HERTZ corporate upon my return from Cancun, they completely ignored me. So avoid this place at all costs...bunch of crooks. Shame on HERTZ

Edited: 22 July 2013, 02:38
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

I posted a tread re Hertz Cancun several moths ago, it was shut down.

Hertz reservation system is useless, whether you are a Gold Card holder or not. They simply laugh it off in Cancun, also in PDC local franchise. Car was reserved 4 months in advance, guaranteed rate and all. No availability. Was offered another car, one notch up, but at triple the reserved rate. We simply walked away, got a car next door for a bit more and everything went smoothly.

Upon return, contacted Hertz, no response. Useless.

Then an email arrived, about 3 months later, stating that all Hertz in Mexico are independent operators that have nothing to do with Hertz corporate. There goes faith in brand name.

It is a good idea to reserve from several agencies at once to increase your chances.

For us, never ever Hertz, Mexico or elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

I agree. Stay away.

To start, service is oh so slow, and they don't care the least bit that you will be there wasting 1-2 hours of your precious vacation time.

Second, the insurance. They make you either purchase their insurance ($30-50 dollars a day depending on the car) or leave a 2,000 dollar deposit. In my case, I had rented the car through hotwire and purchased additional insurance from them, but Hertz didn't recognize that and they said I had to purchase the insurance directly from them. Since I didn't have on me any card with 2,000 available balance, I had to ask my brother to put his card. And since this card was different than the one I had used to rent the car, they had to add my brother as additional driver and this cost us an extra $10 dollars per day.

Last, they don't have cars! Part of the reason why they take so long in attending you is because they are making time for cars to arrive and get them cleaned. They consistently overbook, and don't care. They figure that you should simply wait as long as you need in order to get a car.

san antonio
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

I completely agree. We rented at Hertz in downtown (Plaza Marina) Cancun for a day trip to the ruins. We were staying in Cozumel, and it's very difficult to take the rental car from Cozumel over to Cancun. This was overall a terrible experience. We had a written reservation that, when we got to the poorly equipped rental office, they refused to honor. The office was dirty, with cardboard on the floor, insufficient seating space with the workers sitting down while customers were standing! We showed the clerk the reservation from our email on our phone, but he wanted it PRINTED! He wanted us (tourists in the area, without any access to a printer!) then to email it to him, but he did not have wifi. How could we email it? He never offered to let us use his computer so we could email! He said we could talk to the supervisor "tomorrow." It took almost two hours to finally get our car, which was black in the hot Cancun sun, poor AC, and standard transmission to boot. We nearly baked to death. We had to search around for about an hour for a wifi spot so that we could email them the stupid reservation, and when we turned the car in, of course there was a different clerk who didn't know what the first clerk had done. She was so slow (over 30 min) that we missed our ferry back. It was terrible. Even so, they overcharged us because the reservation was in US dollars, which they converted to their peso exchange rate, which was about 14 pesos/USD while all the other bank exchanges were !2/1, so we paid higher than the USD rate we were originally quoted. It was the biggest scam ever.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
527 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HERTZ Cancun--Avoid at all Costs

Old saying: Once bitten, twice shy....Third time, well we are not going there....