We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Lagunamar?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
53 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Lagunamar?

I have been trying to find a great resort for two families (with 5 kids ages 2-7) for January 2012. I was originally looking a bit farther south in the Playa del Carmen area, but found the Westin Lagunamar - it looks beautiful and all the reviews are fantastic, but I can't figure out why it costs 1/3rd of some of the other nice hotels in the area . . . is there something less desirable about the area? Is the beach not good for swimming? What am I missing here? Thanks for any insight! :)

Boston
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

The pool is too cold for swimming and the ocean might be too cold for swimming.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

If you have a good deal, it really does look like a nice hotel...thtxt is pulling your leg (i think...!)

The beach is on the main hotel zone beach, and though I've never walked up or stayed in a hotel that far north on the beach, the beach should be good. Pool looks great!

To me, there are 2 small negatives: Check in time is late, check out is early, which seems standard for a time share, and it is in a very crowded part of the hotel zone. I like it a little further south by the Marriotts where hotels are spread further apart. But you have the advantage of being very close to shopping and walking to restaurant.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

Oh, maybe he's not pulling your leg if you are thinking of going in January. .. sorry...

Boston
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

It really is a nice resort and the waterslide with the enormous pool is a bonus. But like I said before, the pool water is way too cold for dipping/swimming during that time of the year. The wave action and riptide in that area isn't normally safe for kids at that age, though I found it surprising calm this week for the first time in 20+trips. If you can afford a little more, find a resort with a heated pool or head further south to Aruba.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

We have been in January and the pool does seem cool but the ocean seemed fine. We love the Westin Lagunamar. The location is PERFECT ! January is a perfect time for the excursions that seem to hot when the weather is warmer, such as visiting the ruins and zip lining and off roading adventures. This resort is very nice. Go Enjoy! Linda

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
53 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

Thanks for all the replies! Pool not heated - that won't do at all. Since there are so many helpful people on here, I think I'll start a new thread to help me find the right place!

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

Royal Sands is heated, the villas are bigger than Westin Lagunamar too.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
53 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

So after doing some more research, it seems that the Westin actually did install a pool heating system last fall . . . anyone been there since then who can report on whether it has made a difference?

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

Are you sure they installed a heater? I read some reviews dated Dec 2010 that stated the pool wasn't heated. You may want to call to be sure.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Lagunamar?

mrswh, We were there in March, the pools were cool not cold. The water was certainly not warm. Not sure about them having heaters??? Linda