We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

Has anyone been there recently? Wondering what changes if any are happening? What to go in Jan long time Hilton regular.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

i thought i read somewhere on here that it opens up in december of this year? i could be wrong but fairly certain that is what i read. they were doing renovations after having bought from hilton.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

I don't think any guests have been there as the resort is closed for renovation as per my understanding and is tentatively scheduled for a December 1, 2011 re-opening under the Iberostar Flag as an AI Hotel/Resort. Prior management and staff have been let go for the most part and an army of construction workers are in place pushing for work completion by December.

Reports from local paper Por Esto indicate a $100 million renovation is underway, including the main lobby, hotel bar, poolside areas, a new buffet restaurant, renovation to existing dining areas to include 4 specialty restaurants, including one Japanese and one Mexican, a kids club and teen area, including water park area, and new or renovated amphitheater area amongst the existing facilities already on site not exclusive of the Spa, Golf and other amenities. Por Esto estimates that about 600-700 new employees will be hired along the way to the December opening.

As a caveat, I'd remind folks of the shaky track record of Hotels opening on time either new or renovated and that even when they do are they rarely 100% functional and that from an operational stance, it usually takes a few months or more to get the kinks out. So beware of those early price specials when booking.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

The hotel has been through many changes. I watched it being built as the Caesar Park and it really impressive place then. You can see the original here: 4mexicovacations.com/cancun/hotels/caesarpar…

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

Thank you for the update..We are not sure what to do yet? We really like the location but would not enjoy construction during our vacation..I guess for now we will watch for news that comes out...Thanks again

Chuck and Kristi

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

where is this in relation to the sun palace or beach palace? Am I even in the right area? Been to those two, so I would have an idea. I like Iberostar so it's definitely something I'd look into once it's up and been running for a while.

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

It would be near Playa Delfines(?) public beach down a little from the Royals next to Great Parnassus

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

@cstoutMn, ahhh, that unfortunately tells me nothing. *lol* I have no idea where the GP or the Royals are, though, I am also interested in the Royal Cancun for next year. Is it in the direction of the hotel zone?

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

Coming from the airport it is one of the first hotels you pass...

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

It's close to Sun Palace. 5 minutes down the road next to Playa Delfines (Public Beach)

Northeast
Level Contributor
806 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Cancun ( old Hilton

I was interested in staying there for christmas again this year. ( we have stayed there since it was caesar park) my travel agent will not book us there because they do not believe it will be up and running by then. I am going to stay at the gran melia this year. I have been told that the golf course will be open during the renovations. if anyone has heard differently please let me know