We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

colletivo

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
colletivo

Two days left!!! I see that we catch the collectivo at LA Mexcia Commercial i think it was called. It says it opens at 8 am. But it says collectivos start running at 5 am. Can we catch a collectivo at 6 am or not until 8 am?

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: colletivo

Where are you going any why would you want to?

They are usually packed, stop every few hundred yards and the windows are open, so no A/C.

Consider ADO or the Playa Express. It is worth the extra pesos.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
571 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: colletivo

I took a collectivo from the Commercial Mexicana to Puerto Morelos. $20 pesos, air conditioned, they didn't leave until it was FULL, so we did not stop once. This was less than a month ago..

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: colletivo

ADO Cancun to PM is 22 pesos. Much more comfortable IMO.

To eat there own, but I would not recommend a colectivo unless every peso counted. I see them on the highway every day and think those poor people all crammed in like that.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
571 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: colletivo

I cant imagine being packed into a collectivo if I have a choice. The ADO bus is much more comfortable and departs every 15 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
571 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: colletivo

For a short drive a collectivo is an experience. Yes they are crammed in, but that is part of the experience.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: colletivo

I did it more for the experience. Was hoping for a fellow passenger with a box of chickens or something. But no, it was quite nice, clean, air conditioned, etc. It was actually more pleasant than the bus ride back (crummy bus -- not the nicer ADO). Maybe we got lucky. Actually, the bus ride back featured a fellow passenger with a bucket full of fish heads. So we got our experience one way or another.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 20:40
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: colletivo

Suppose I have had enough experiences. Not likely to find chickens in tourists areas but get to the interior of Mexico, and you could. Not sure why anyone would take a " crummy bus" , when the ADO's are cheap and frequent.

I will leave the collectivos to the locals who often really need them.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: colletivo

We took the older crummy bus because it was there, going where we needed to go, and we didn't care to wait. Simple enough.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: colletivo

Im trting to get to akumal. Any suggeations on how to get there with buses? Do I just take cilectivo from pdc to akumal after catching bus from cancun?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: colletivo

Thats probably the best way to go. Or, you can take any southbound Mayab bus from the ADO Playa terminal and they will let you off at Akumal.

Peter, only asking. I dont even know where to find an older crummy bus in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
571 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico