We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Hi everyone,

Are Cuban cigars (real ones) cheaper than those for sale in Canada? I'm fond of Romeo y Julietta no. 2 and I'm contemplating bringing a box back.

I've also read good things about La Casa del Habano, mojitos and all. Is this "the" place to go or are there others?

Thanks

PA
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Just sit on the beach and a vendor will approach u..... All kinds of Cuban cigars... A beautifully packaged 5-pack for about 10 to 12 bucks.... I doubt they're authentic, but for $10, it's a great conversation piece at home... (good gift too)... The guys I gave'm to at home loved them...

Edited: 17 October 2011, 17:49
Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Thanks but those are the cigars I'm trying to avoid. I'm looking to stock my humidor and putting bad ones in with good ones can ruin the lot.

mazeandblueworld
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

I'd say the cigars are about 30-40% cheaper than in Canada.

You can buy most robustos in the 12-20$ range with cohibas being more expensive.

The LCdH is a great place for cigars and mojitos. Stay away from the beach vendors, who knows what they are made of.

Va
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

If you are from Canada, there is really no point of buying Cuban cigars in Mexico. The chances of buying fakes are pretty high. Only Americans buy cubans in Mexico.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Level Contributor
272 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

In the Kulculkun mall there is a shop (on the top floor I believe) that's sells high quality cuban cigars that are in a huge humidor in the store. I'm sure you could find some great ones there. The ones on the beach are not real. Best of luck!

chicago IL
Level Contributor
83 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Buy them at home. The production and distribution of Cuban cigars is controlled by the state monopoly Habanos SA and your only guarranty of obtaining the genuine article is to purchase them through one of their state licensed stores. Authentic Cubans are expensive so buying them from beach vendors for $10 or $20 for a 5 pack is not possible. What you will get are cheap dried out Mexican bundle cigars that have been repackaged with fake bands, boxes, and even tubes. Frankly, you have a better chance of being elected Pope than buying an authentic Cohiba on the beach. The Mexican authorities have no interest in protecting gullible touristas from themselves. Why should they? I have not been to the cigar store on Kulculcan, as I bring my own legal cigars with me from home.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

even the licensed stores sell fakes. know what a genuine looks like and look at each one in the box. licensed stores have been known to put genuine on top of fakes.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Cheap, but are they real?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,540 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Yes, La Casa del Habano is the place to go. I recommend it.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Cuban Cigars in Cancun

Stick with LCdH for a place to hang out, smoke and enjoy, it's a great place. Buy at home. You won't find them cheaper in Mexico.