We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carryon sunscreen?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
carryon sunscreen?

Is it ok to carryon large volume (more than the 3oz rule) of sunscreen lotion for flight?

The TSA website says the following: "You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes. You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection."

I have successfully passed through security with huge amount of sunscreen lotion but have never been really sure if it's allowed. Does suncreen count as overcounter meds or jelly for medical purpose?

Edited: 21 October 2011, 15:31
Windsor, ME
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: carryon sunscreen?

A friend had a brand new bottle of sunscreen thrown away going through security two years ago...I haven't tried it since...

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,426 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carryon sunscreen?

My understanding is that sunscreen is subject to the 3oz rule it it's in your carry on (of course, if it's in your checked luggage, that's a whole other thing).

I really don't see that sunscreen would qualify as "medically necessary" (if it is, then I think plain old moisturizer would be in the same class and I know for sure that it's not). I suspect that you've just been very lucky with your "huge amount" of sunscreen in the past. Did you declare the sunscreen to the security officers on previous occasions?

Of course, as I'm sure you're aware, no matter what the official rules are, you are very much at the mercy of the security officer that you deal with on any given day. At my "home" airport of Calgary, I once had an officer give me a lecture because I hadn't put my mascara in with my liquids (and she REALLY made a big deal of it). The irony is that I'd taken numerous flights out of the same airport in the previous six months and no-one had said a thing about my mascara at all.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carryon sunscreen?

Get smaller containers at Walmart or elsewhere and transfer the sunscreen to the approved sized container for carry-on. Or buy sunscreen once you get there.

Edited: 21 October 2011, 16:14
Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
583 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carryon sunscreen?

I always have a problem with this rule also. It's cheaper to check my luggage than to purchase sunscreen in Cancun. It would be nice if they could find a way to relax that rule...I don't know how they would do it but it would be nice!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carryon sunscreen?

Neutrogena suntan lotion comes in 3 oz bottles.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carryon sunscreen?

Neutrogena suntan lotion comes in 3 oz bottles. >>>

Yes, but are they going to let you carry on 10 bottles of it, LOL?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carryon sunscreen?

Yes.. IF you can make it all fit in the quart size bag! Mine is usually bulging. Some TSA personnel aren't as bright as others.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carryon sunscreen?

Put enough in a carry on to hold you a day if your checked luggage is lost. As mentioned, go to the store and purchase if necessary. Mega Mart in Playa and the Walmart in Cancun ... the prices aren't unrealistic.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carryon sunscreen?

Sunblock from USA Transfers. Five ounces - $12 USD

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/…

Edited: 21 October 2011, 20:22
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
872 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: carryon sunscreen?

They are very strict. I had accidently left a bottle of sunscreen in my carry-on , almost a new bottle. They took it. I knew better, just forgot I had put it in that bag. Also last month ,in my ziplock bag, I had a travel size bottle of shampoo that has traveled in my carry -on for maybe 10 times get thrown away. I asked why and he said it was too big.