We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Hello Friends,

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Royal In Cancun from October 19 through October 23. We are 45 and 30 respectively and were there to celebrate his 45th birthday. I booked the Royal Ocean Front View room online through Funjet Vacations. I was a bit nervous but I figured, it didn't become #2 on trip advisor for no reason. We are not quiet people who want to be in an enviroment of ultimate peace and relaxation and zen like. We wanted adults only, good food, alcohol, and people to meet and hang out with.

I also booked our airport transfers through USA transfers online as well.

I did not pay in advance as I thought "what happens if they don't show up". But they did.. just like their email states they ALWAYS show up.

It was a private transfer with just my boyfriend and I in the van. The driver was friendly and helpful. Upon our departure out of the van I paid in cash.

The Royal in Cancun is fabulous on arrival. We were offered champange, water.. whatever we wanted. Check in was a breeze as I had already picked out the room and entered in our information online before we left the states. No push to upgrade. I was asked and I said no thank you and that was the end of the conversation.

The butler took us to our rooms with bags.

He explained everything in the room. How to use the jacuzzi and shower and "magic box". The view was spectacular. The weather was perfect. I won't go into too many details... but we were impressed.

Now for the other things:

Reservations for dinner: Yes, make reservations upon arrival. It's really not that difficult. The person at the desk (guest services) brings you the menus to the different restaurants and you choose which one you want to eat at and at which time. DO IT UPON ARRIVAL!!!! We always picked a late dinner time at like 8:30/9 pm. This worked out perfectly. If you choose a 6 pm dinner, that means that you have to leave the beach/pool by 5 to get ready. (With all that sun left???) No time for relaxing in your hammock on your balcony, or utilizing the titilating jacuzzi.

Chair games: The hotel was not packed, there were chair games near the pool but it seemed that those with assigned cabanas (swim up suite ) never used them. We hardly saw people using the cabanas. I always got a chair when we rolled our of bed say... 11 a.m. and I always got a cabana.

Staff: Amazing, attentive, swift, polite... didn't run into anyone rude or incompetant.

Food: Good. Ate at Pelicanos, Spice, Asiana, Marie Marie and Sunset Grill (over at the gran caribe)

Dress code for dinner: Men- no short shorts, must have shoes and shirt. You can dress up or down. Most of the men had on cargo shorts with a polo or collared shirt.

Women- no bathing suits. Most of the women were more dressed in summer dresses and skirts. Some a little dressy. Everyone looked nice.

Beach: Perfect. Someone was always asking if you wanted something to drink as you were laying in your cabana witht e breeze blowing through. The sand was white, water clear, no garbage, no rocks.

People: GREAT!! Met some really awesome couples while we were there which made the trip even better. Lots of honeymooners and couples.

Weather: Not a drop of rain. Blue Skies and Hot Sun.

TV: I have no clue as I forgot we had a TV in the room. I don't know if it worked. Looked like it had all the channels according to the guide.

IPOD: They said we could hook it up to our TV... but the hammock on the balconey and the beach, pool.... what IPOD?

Timeshare sales: We were asked if we wanted to listen to a 90 minute thing about the hotel. We knew this was a tmeshare pitch and said No Thank You. No one ever asked again.

Bed: Super comfortable.. also they ask you which types of pillows you want. Hard, soft, aromotherapy, pillow top and the list goes on and on and on.

Gym: I took a yoga class.. I was the only student! Talk about one on one. There was Pilates and a Gym. Looked awesome.

There are 4 bottles of liquor in the room along with all different types of chasers in the refrigerator. Stocked daily.

Dislikes: My boyfriend said that I had to go back home as everyone saw me leave with him.

What ever you want at this hotel...just ask.

We will go back again.

We are already planning to go to PDC Royal in Cancun

I didn;t go into too many details as I am unsure as to what people want to know.

Any questions... feel free to ask

Adiatasha

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Adiatasha,

That was a good review, will be there in Feb. it will be our 3 rd time. Also went to RPDC but We prefer the Royal in Cancun.

Alex

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Very good review..The staff makes this resort "special"..

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Alex,

What about PDC Royal didn't you like?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Adiatasha,

That was a good review, will be there in Feb. it will be our 3 rd time. Also went to RPDC but We prefer the Royal in Cancun.

Alex

We did , however, it is a bigger complex, not all the rooms have a nice ocean view

and the feel is not the same.

Alex

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

You should add this to "Reviews", and not just post in the Forums.

Good review!

Edited: 30 October 2011, 16:36
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
888 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

I agree with BigTipper ! This is a good review with lots of useful tips & you should copy/paste it in the reviews for others to share ! Cheers, Tel

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Done..I have posted it under the Hotel reviews...thats what you meant?

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

adiatasha,

Loved, loved your review. Thank you!

We were at the Royal 4 years ago - it was awesome. We would love to go again, but my question is, when did they start requiring reservations at the restaurants? When we were there, absolutely no reservations were required at any restaurants, only at Chef's Plate.

We had a Royal Corner Suite - it wasn't worth the 'lots' of extra money we paid as our 'corner' view was of the Flamingo deteriorating building next door. We ended up just keeping our blinds closed.

We will definitely consider going again as we LOVE Cancun, but are concerned about the restaurant reservations. (So far, NO reservations are needed at any restaurant at the Sun Palace.)

Thanks again for your comments.

~S

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

How does Sun Palace compare to the Royal in Cancun?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Royal in Cancun

Overall we liked the Royal a little better than Sun Palace. Liked the staff a bit more, and the diversity of restaurants. The lobby area is also a bigger and splashier. I didn't have trouble getting port at the Royal. It was usually a hassle at SP. Bathrooms at Royal are a bit nicer, too. Wife liked the coffee shop at Royal as well.