We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

Danvers...
Level Contributor
828 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

We are scheduled to arrive mid-November but we just learned a member of our party may have a weakened immune system--if he does, the dr said that if he were to contract some sort of gastrointestinal illness as people experience in Mexico, he would not be able to recover. Naturally, we already book our flights, and paid in advance for two rooms for 6 nights at the Ritz with no cancellations and no refunds, and no insurance. I did explain that we were not going to leave the hotel while there, but this doctor said she knows people who have gotten cholera at the Westin in Cancun. I was surprised, b/c before I booked this trip I called the Dr's office to ask if we needed special immunizations and was told no, that if we were going to stay on resort property and not go to any rural areas we would be fine. Has anyone out there experienced "Montezuma's revenge" or the like at the Ritz?

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

You have nothing to worry about regarding the Ritz Carlton food. It is the best of the best! I have visited the hotel many many times and never have had a problem. I a huge foodie and try everything. You can read numerous reviews here regarding the Ritz Carlton.

It's a spectacular hotel with food to match.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

No! No worries at all...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,375 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

It would be interesting to know more about cholera at the Westin. I have not heard of cholera in the area and a case at the Westin would have made headlines.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
828 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

Do you use bottled water to brush your teeth, or is the water totally fine to drink? What about elderly/young children, or anyone who might have weakened immune system?

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

smallfry0517....like theresa, we have never had any gastrointestinal complications from eating or drinking at the ritz from all our past stays. i believe all the hotels along the zona hoteles have a filtered water system so it's safe to brush your teeth with tap water as we regularly do while at the ritz. we don't drink the tap water but brushing our teeth no probs.

i find even if you ask for water at the caribe bar and grill, they will serve you water that comes out of a bottle. we have eaten and drank lots at the ritz and never once have we had problems. however, with that being said, everyone's immune system is different and some people stomach is more sensitive than others. we always like to bring some pepto bismol or immodium with us just in case but never had to use any.

locals often tell us that people with diarhhea usually drank too much and too much sun. drink lots of water, stay hydrated and watch how much sun and alcohol you take in.

i can hardly wait until we are at the ritz for christmas!

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

You can still get "turista" anywhere in Mexico - Ritz or not - especially if you never been there and have no immunity against local E.coli.

Apart from reasonable precautions you can ask your doctor to give you Dukoral vaccine - can be given to immunocompromised and protects from "turista" for ~ 3months and cholera for ~ 2yrs.

But then all depends on the type of immune compromise...

I agree with RobertSDF though - no cholera in Mexico - CDC site has nothing about it.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,375 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

You can get turista most anywhere, including the USA. My Mexican friends used to visit me every year and one of the family always had a problem while there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

I agree with all of the above. I get sick just looking at an ice-cube and fell ill on every trip to Mexico, until we stayed at the Ritz. Maybe I am lucky, but I brushed with the tap water and was fine. I am careful not to eat off the property - and if I do, I avoid drinks that aren't in a can, bottle, ice, salads, etc. The Ritz will be fine, but it would be wise to be careful, look into the vacceine, and get some insurance.... I am sure a policy can be procured somewhere.

Good luck. You'll love it there. Club Grill is a must!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

Ages ago, I heard about acidophilus. They're readily available at any health food store or in the vitamin aisle of your local pharmacy or grocery store. Since I've been taking them *knock wood*, I haven't had any intestinal issues at all.

Live culture yoghurt contains the same thing but you have to eat quite a lot of it to get the same wallop that you get from the pills.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone get gastrointestinal problems at the Ritz?

Ditto on all of the above. Been to the Ritz several times (not as much at Theresa, but I'm working on it!). Never had a problem. I brush my teeth with tap water in the bathroom but only drink bottle water. Never had a problem off property either but we don't venture past La Isla Mall. We have margarita's off the hotel property and never worry about the ice and no problems! Enjoy your trip!