We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
M M
Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

Hi!

I'm in Cancun for a week, single female travelling alone to a resort for a friend's wedding. I fly into Cancun and am staying in Tulum.

Does anybody have any tips on shuttles, busses or cars from Cancun airport to Tulum? I'm leaning toward the car for the mobility but the busses for the cost.

Note: I travelled fairly extensively throughout Central America 10 years ago, my spanish is limited and rusty, but I'm fairly competent in getting around and negotiating w/ cab drivers/busses. I've never rented a car before though, and am looking wondering if this is more of a pain than it is a benefit.

Thanks for any help and/or advice! It's most appreciated.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

Check with your travel agent...don't they offer transfers as part of your trip?

I would hesitate renting a car in Mexico...even the Cancun area....especially since you are female and traveling alone.

Not sure how others feel about car rentals in Mexico. I only know my thoughts.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,883 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

yes, a car is easy (Easyway is my recommendation)

Or take a ADO (1st class greyhound) bus from the airport to PDC (110 pesos) and a bus then to Tulum (very cheap way to go - just did it a few days ago

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

I agree with get-away-from-it-all; being a solo female traveler, and as you said competent in negotiating with cabs/driver/buses, I'd take the local transportation. Even Vancouversund just took the local bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen, and then another local bus on to Tulum, and said that it is very economical (and maybe Mexican convenient??).

That being said, *IF* you are set on renting a car, I'd suggest getting all of the avaialable optional insurance for the rental car. Your US / Canadian auto liability insurance will not be valid in Mexico. Please understand that when you calculate the cost of this optoinal insurance, the daily rate for the car will ~ triple what you were originally quoted for the car itself.

Also an auto accident is a Criminal matter in Mexico, vs. a Civil matter as in the US (and I assume Canada??). The added cost of taking the optional insurance coverages is negligible to spending a night in a Mexican jail vs. your nice comfy resort, in the hopes of saving just a few dollars a day to skimp on the insurance.

Be on the lookout (if renting a car) while refueling, to ensure the attendant re-sets the pump to '0', as a common practice on the unsuspecting tourist is to just pump gas from the last customer's total, and then charge the unsuspecting tourist the new amount listed on the pump; pocketing the difference for themselves. Oh, and don't forget the occasional (illegal) mordida (i.e. bite) to the local police who also like to prey on unsuspecting tourists to pad their take home pay. If pulled over (and you truly believe you are innocent), accept the ticket and pay the fine. It will (most likely) be significantly less than what the officer was asking for in the mordida on the side of the road.

Here is a guide to Mexican Insurance and suggested rental insurance products:

mexperience.com/guide/…5

Not trying to scare you; just trying to help you make an informed decision.

!Se divirtieran!

Edited: 27 October 2011, 15:57
Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

I'd actually forgotten about the insurance thing. Some years back we rented a car in Texas and part of the agreement was that we did not take it into Mexico. I remember parking the car in Texas and walking across the border to shop at a little border town.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

Rental car companies are very strict about taking their vehicles into Mexico; they almost always forbid it. They just don't want the risk and exposure that it entails.

Your rental car company actually did you a favor, as walking across the border, not having to deal with parking issues on the other side, etc. actually probably saved you a lot of time. And unless you were carrying a lot of heavy items, it was probably much more convenient to park on the Texas side, and just walk across.

For Texas residents, The Texas Standard Auto Policy covers occasional cross border excursions into Mexico for up to 25 miles from the border, *IF* the Mexican officials choose to accept the policy, its limits, exclusions, etc. They are not required to accept the policy, and as previously stated a car accident anywhere in Mexico (yep, even along the border) is still a criminal matter.

We used to joke when I lived in McAllen Texas, that if we ever got into a car accident in Mexico along the border somewhere, we would all just abandon the vehicle, and run North for the river (not being distracted with trying to get to a 'bridge'); wading, swimming, or just getting across by whatever means possible. Then once back (relatively) safe in the US, just report the vehicle as stolen (if you had Comprehensive coverage). Because regardless of right-of-way, more often than not the US citizen would be found guilty (at fault) for the accident. I never had to actually try this, but I always was prepared just the same! lol

!Se divirtieran!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

As SVD says the ADO bus is also a great way to get around, cheap, clean and easy to do. Then once with your group think about renting a car for sightseeing - share the costs.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

Only speaking for myself ,but I would not rent a car.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 22:00
Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

If you only need to get from the airport to your hotel, look into Lomas Travel. They offer shared and private transfers and they are reliable. Easy to spot at the airport too, with their teal shirts and white pants.

http://www.lomas-travel.com/

9. Re: Rent-a-Car or Shuttles/Cabs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:23