We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

A lot of US media are saying December 21 2012 is the end of the world, per the Mayan calendar, and prophetic sources of all kinds. I have no expectation that world will end, when my calendar ends I just roll to the next year, no big deal. I am choosing to find humor in all of this.. So, the question is, when is your next/last trip to Cancun before doomsday hits?

I will probably do Cancun in March of 2012, it depends on work schedule and how the prices look.

-Jay

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

Oh, dang it.. good thing I purchased trip insurance for my trip to Cancun on December 23rd! Uh... this is the first I've heard about it and hopefully the last!

BTW.. no media where I live is talking about this.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

The world was supposed to end Oct 21, 2011. What happened?

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

I should note the media I refer to is the History, Discovery, and Science channels. Which is rather upsetting as they usually have some-what factual based programming. Also, some publicans are playing this up.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

Rest easy, the Mayan calendar is ending, not the world.

We just got back from Cancun Sat. and hopefully will return in Jan/Feb 2012.

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

We are booked in Akumal for the end of February/early March, but also have tentative plans to be back in Mexico ON Dec 21, 2012. We will be somewhere if it is in fact the end of the world. What better place than where we love to vacation.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
505 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

OK? June 3rd, 2012.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun.

A b'ak'tun is 20 katun cycles of the ancient Maya Long Count Calendar. It contains 144,000 days.

A k'atun or k'atun-cycle is a unit of time in the Maya calendar equal to 20 tuns.

20 tuns =7,200 days.

Conclusion - the world will not end on December 21, 2012. Sue me if I'm wrong. Or - enjoy your holiday / years ahead.

PS - this has been in the papers over here quite a few times already as well. No doubt it'll get worse late next year.

Happy holidays.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

Maybe I can save on Christmas presents this year.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

BobNH

You may not be very popular at Xmas this year because it's December 2012 that this is supposed to happen. Just thought I'd let you know to save you some grief : )

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pre doomsdays trip to Cancun?

Jay - Thinking May or September for us. Like you; depends on work, if the job is still around, prices, etc. Got to get that one last trip in before the end! (Just kidding)