We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADO bus tickets buy online???

Edmonton AB
2 posts
Save Topic
ADO bus tickets buy online???

I am needing some help, I made my way through the ado website to but my tickets online, however when I got to the end and entered my credit card, it didn't go through. Anyone have any suggestions? And I called visa here in Canada and they said no transactions were attempted.

59 replies to this topic
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

Why do you need to buy them online?

Saint-Leu-d'Esserent...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

It's the same for me (from France). How did you do it in the end?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

I ride ADO buses often, five times this past week, but have never bought online. Its my understanding that its difficult , if not impossible , to use a non-Mexican credit card. Most Mexicans dont buy in advance so usually seats available unless its a very busy time, such as now.

California
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

I'm having the same problem. I have to buy my ticket from Merida to Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas. ADO Platino. I was successful last July buying a ticket from Oaxaca to tapachula online. I was even able to print my boarding pass but now their phone numbers don't work and none of my cards work. Each time it blames the problem on my bank but I called the bank and they said there was no problem. I even Authorized the purchase just in case. Any help on contact info for ADO or anything would be helpful.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

I ride ADO often but never have tried to buy online. I hear many who try with US credit cards have problems. I dont know when you are traveling but the ADO Platino bus from Merida to Tuxla rarely sells out far in advance unless its one of the busy holiday periods.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

Theres the site if you want it....

California
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

Yes, I have all three and am a registered member on the sites:

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp (ADO)

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp?acceso=05 (ADO GL)

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp?acceso=04 (ADO Platino)

This is where I was able to buy my ticket last year successively but now I've tried 3 US cards and have not been able to get them to work or found an e-mail for them. The phone numbers they have listed are of no use and say they have been disconnected. Even the new Ticketbus website:

http://boletotal.mx/

This site doesn't even work to show schedules since they have changed from Ticketbus.com

@RobertSDF

I've ridden both ADO-GL and ADO Platino on many routes usually bought directly from the station and have never had a problem with the bus being full. I'd just like to be sure and get the preferred seat I always like to purchase. Since I am taking the bus on a weekend and around Carnaval time (Feb 17th) I'm afraid the good seats will get taken unless I can purchase in advance.

If worse comes to worst I'll have to try their option of reserving my ticket with their OXXO option. From what I understand I can reserve the ticket here in the US on their website the morning of my flight without a card and once i reach Playa Del Carmen from Cancun at about 6:00pm Local time with my flight arriving Cancun at 4:00pm ( I plan to take an ADO to Playa del Carmen directly from the airport). So 6pm is a rough estimate but if I get the website reservation printout to any OXXO store I can pay there as long as it's before midnight on the day I made the reservation. That will at least give me a 7 day advance .

Does anyone know if I can buy my Merida-tuxtla ticket from the ADO station at the cancun Airport? I don't know if you can buy tickets originating from other cities at any ADO terminal and I also don't think ADO-Plantino has a desk at the Cancun Airport if the OXXO option doesn't work I'd have to buy it in Playa if possible. Hopefully I don't have to wait to get to Merida where I'll only have 3 days advance.

I'm actually going to San Cristobal Del Las Casas but from Merida you can only take the OCC bus. I'll just take a colectivo or ADO to SCDLC from Tuxtla.

I'm hoping to find somewhere an e-mail at least for ADO.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

You should be able to buy any ticket from and to any destination at the Cancun airport. I often buy tickets to and from many destinations at any ADO location where I happen to be at the time. And Platino tickets are sold at an ADO facility. No need for a dedicated Platino counter available in some terminals.

I often do exactly what you are doing. I ride the Platino from Merida to Tuxtla and then one of the frequent OCC buses to San Cris. The Tuxtla terminal is one of the few where I dont mind a layover since it is connected to a large mall with food court, cinemas, etc.

I often have to buy Platino tickets early since I use my 50% IMAPAM discount they only see 2 or 3 of those per bus at peak times. The good thing is, I can see the seat availiblity on the ADO websites.

I think ADO is a great company but doubt an email address would help. ADO , like many Mexican companies, is not very responsive to such things.

California
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

Yes, I've noticed about no e-mail responses from other companies or wrong phone #'s. Centeral America is even worse unless it's a hostel, Spanish school or something many times run by North Americans or Europeans.

I guess I'll just try the OXXO option online or buy my ticket directly from the Cancun Airport. Thanks for the info. I was worried it had to be a Platino counter. I've done sample 7 day checks for weekends on their website and luckily have for the most part found empty buses.

Sounds interesting regarding the Tuxtla terminal. I never spent much time in Tuxtla. To me the city was to big and really had nothing to do. Last time I was there looking for a hospital to refill an american script since my doctor in san Cris. said my medication couldn't be found and I had better try Tuxtla and it seemed that I walked from one side of the city to the other. One big mass of Concrete and cars. I like the smaller towns much better, thats why San Cristobal is my favorite in Chiapas. It's got lots to do and see and still pretty small so you can walk all over without much trouble.

It's to bad Platino doesn't have direct service to San Cristobal but I've read many stories on the Nighttime OCC buses getting robbed between Palenque and ocosingo. Here's a link to a recent attack:

(in Spanish)

http://impreso.milenio.com/node/8552922

At least these guys got caught. Thanks for the info

Edited: 25 January 2012, 03:03
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,057 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ADO bus tickets buy online???

I agree about Tuxtla. I see nothing of Tuxtla other than the bus terminal and the attached mall. Thats enough. San Cristobal is one of my favorite cities in Mexico.

I have done the OCC bus many times and really dont worry about the Palenque to Ocosingo portion. The article is interesting but it really is not recent -- I believe the dateline is 2009. Since that time more robberies have occured but in the last couple of years between Tulum and Chetumal. So, suppose it can happen anywhere.

You likely will have no problem getting the tickets you want. The Mexican people dont tend to buy tickets very early. I have bought tickets a few days early when the bus was almost empty but left with a full bus. As I said, I only buy very early due to the limited number of discounted seats--and the fact I like the front row seat on the single side of the Platino buses.

Good luck.

Reply to: ADO bus tickets buy online???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted