We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I done with Cancun?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Am I done with Cancun?

Having just returned from what was our approximate 30X in the Cancun area, my hubby and I said this is it. No more Cancun. It felt kind of sad to say that, but honestly can say I think it might be. Not because of anything bad, but because we may have had our fill. Or for a while, anyways.

BUT, we didn't realize that we returned home with $3,000 in pesos that I had tucked in a purse from our Sept trip - so that tells me we HAVE to go back to Mexico sometime after all........

AND, just last night I'm on the Berlin board (planning a Germany trip next year) and find it to be so slow - nothing like the Cancun board. I told hubby not sure if I can get rid of Cancun because the board is so much fun!!!

Hm, I wonder if I'm trying to make excuses so that I will go back to Cancun..............Can we really call it quits?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

Well, clearly you HAVE to go back to Mexico to spend your $3000 pesos - maybe try someplace different to Cancun though. I have friends who love, love, LOVE Huatulco.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

Puerto Vallarta?

Cabo?

Ixtapa?

Other Mexican places ya know????

Oh, You'll be back.... Plezzzzz....

Berlin???? COLD!! Spent too much time in a gaurd post looking at East German Gaurds.... Ya ya, I know that ended in 89....

Edited: 13 December 2011, 15:36
San Diego
Level Contributor
525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

I know what you're feeling - my husband is getting to that point and we have only been 4 years. The last two we stayed a week in Playa and a week in Cancun. Have you stayed south of Cancun- Playa, Tulum, Akumel? We are thinking about trying Cabo San Lucas next year. But I just love Playa del Carmen.

SD

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

I know, we still feel we have to return to Playa del Carmen ONE more time.

We've not done Huatulco yet, but have done Acapulco and Ixtapa a few times. Cabo IS on my list.....

Right now I'm thinking Costa Rica for next year.

As for Berlin - My family is all from Germany and we fell in love with Berlin when I was last there two years ago. and it was COLD as we were there in March. This time we are thinking Aug - A few days in Berlin, spend a little time with the family, and then also a few days in Amsterdam.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
422 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

My husband and I said the same thing last time we went to Cancun. Or even we should try a different resort (other than Sun Palace). So when we were planning this trip, we were initially going to Punta Cana. But we were still super drawn to Cancun....even tried looking at Playa, etc. Then we decided we just wouldn't be happy unless we went back to Cancun and the Sun Palace! Spending buku bucks to do it too, but it'll be worth it. It's probably our last "us" trip without the kids until they move out (they're only 5 and 2)!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

I know what you are saying and I think we will run in to the same thing when we trip hunt for our next vacation. Cancun (and the area) has just been so easy and affordable that we will probably say, screw it, let's just go back. However, I do feel like we have been migrating more and more towards Playa del Carmen the last few years.

I guess I just don't know. My hubby felt pretty strongly about all this. Maybe we just need a year off.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

Of course, all this is easy enough to say right after you get back... give it 6 months and I bet you change your tune. ;)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

zsazsa, we are feeling the same way. 5 years in a row and I think it's time for a change. The Secrets Marquis in Cabo is high on my list, so I may not be done with Mexico quite yet! So far next year, we have Vegas and Napa/Sonoma Valleys planned - no thoughts about Cancun for now.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

I saw that new Secrets.

I think this is the first time in a very long time that we have absolutely nothing else booked yet.

If course there will be Disney World again in July and hopefully Germany, but nothing actually booked.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I done with Cancun?

We took a couple years off from Cancun. Went back in August for a visit and really enjoyed ourselves. So, a break can be good. Also, we had never been there during the summer, and things were somewhat different then as well, which made it seem somewhat "new". We've done most of the typical spots -- Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc. The nice thing about Cancun has been how easy and cheap it is. The others, not so much. Good luck.