We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado or somewhere else???

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
El Dorado or somewhere else???

This site is great. There's so much good info here. I'm having a hard time deciding what resort to book. I definitely want all inclusive and would like to stay at an adults only place(basically just to avoid the kids running around). I heard some good things about the El Dorado resorts, but would love to hear some other options. Basically, which of the two El Dorado's, or where else? If there's a place thats not adults only, but doesn't have kids all over, that would be fine too.

Thanks in advance...

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

Read the reviews for Golden Crown Paradise Spa. It is in the middle of the hotel zone and is adults only. We are going back for the 4th time in 12 days. It is a small place so you get to know people very easily. Lots of restaurants for a place that size and pretty good food. No reservations for dinner, only 1 place has a dress code. Great staff.

We have been to El Dorado Royale. It is in the middle of nowhere first of all, about 30 minutes south of Cancun. So if you plan to do any nightlift, it's a long expensive ride back and forth. Also, we didn't much care for the food. Another thing, the beach isn't pretty there. It was about 99% honeymooners. Seaside Suites is about 80 miles south of Cancun airport.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

thanks... anyone else?

Neosho, MO
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

We stayed at the El Dorado Royale 8/04 and absolutely loved it! We have nothing bad to say about it. The food, the rooms, and the whole resort were perfect. This year we are going to the Golden Crown Paradise, mostly we just wanted to try something new and El Dorado has went up in price. I'm worried it won't compare mostly by the pictures that we look at. So many things came standard in the rooms at the El Dorado that you have to upgrade for at the Golden and the El Dorado as acre afer acre of Gardens to walk through where you could get alone. We actually were the only ones on the beach on time there, and doubt that will happen at the Golden. It really depends on what you are going for. If you are going for a peaceful, getaway and aren't wanting to get away from the resort much then El Dorado is definately for you, because it is further away from the "cities". On the other hand if you want to be closer to the action you might go with the golden. Don't get me wrong we are very excited about our trip to Golden and hopefully we will be as pleased as we were at the El dorado. So decided your reasons for going and that will help you decide.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

I heard the beach at the Golden was wiped out from the hurricane. Is that true???

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

rg567,

As of yesterday, it is back! Go to this site: cancungrina dot blogspot dot com. The LeMeridien is right next door to Golden Crown. I can email you pictures of what the beach looked like in January. It looks phenomenal now, yay!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

Also, you can check out entertainment-plus dot net, Brant has video of the beach recovery project in action, it is amazing!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

I hear lots of good stuff about the golden crown. I'll check into it. Thanks...

Coxsackie ny
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

I would definately reccommend the Golden Crown. The staff is second to none, it is a small resort so it is very personable, and there are 5 restraunts to choose from with no reservations ever needed. Best of all - adults only.

Gypsum, CO
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

We stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites last March for spring break and LOVED IT! That would be my first recommendation for an adults only all inclusive. It was so quaint and perfect. The service was incredible and the food was amazing for an all inclusive. I suer hope that we have the opportunity to go back soon. I saw the rates have gone up since last year, but I would still pay for what we experienced. I have read some great reviews of the other El Dorado resort. Either way you cannot go wrong.

Scott

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado or somewhere else???

A group of 8 returned from the EDSS on Feb 18th. I would not recommend this resort due to the service and the poor state the beach and swimming areas are in. Dinners averaged 2 1/2 hours, with some taking over 3 hours. While food was good most of the time, there were a couple of nights it seemed to be hit or miss. (IE: different members of our group who ordered the same entre resulted in one being good while the other was not.)

The damage from the hurrican is VERY evident when you look at the water. The pier, which provided access to the deeper swimable water is gone, and there a chunks of concrete letering the water everywhere, with the exception of a small area towards the south of the resort.

While the rooms were very nice, water, or lack of it was a problem pretty well the entire week.

In summary, not a horrible resort, just not up to par with many others charging the same price (RIU's, Palace's, Bahia Principes..)