We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

Owatonna, Minnesota
Level Contributor
726 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

Booked with Apple Vacations. It sucks when you plan on an adult oly vacation and you end up with a resort with kids . Not happy about it how many have had the same thing happen.

Missouri
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

Wow.... Are you there now? Usually they will give you credit for another stay (no airfare)

Louisiana
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

This is the reason we've never booked the Golden. I've always want to try it but don't want to be bumped. We've been to the Great and don't want to go back. It's not a bad resort, but there were a lot of kids and it's just not anywhere we would enjoy returning to. I would hate to pay for an Adults Only vacation and get bumped to a resort with a lot of kids. I hope everything works out and you get compensated.

michigan
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

Oh No! Say it ain't so.......leaving for the Golden on 1-16, was hoping this would not be an issue in January. tammyb, please let us know how it works for you at the Great. I am hoping they at least gave you some type of compensation!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

This is a recurring theme with this resort - among other problems. Precisely WHY on earth would anyone want to even take the chance? I can't imagine booking a resort under these circumstances.

Cheryl

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

Tammyb - I'm so sorry!

Is there an Apple Rep on site? Does anyone know what are the odds of this happening in May?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

I would go back and ask if you can switch back. Perhaps it was just an overbooking issue one or two days at the beginning of your trip.

Owatonna, Minnesota
Level Contributor
726 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

I will be calling the apple rep this morning. Our trip was only three nights. So it was either suck it up or spend the whole trip fighting. We were so excited just to be able to get to our resort in the late morning, so tecnically we would of had almost a whole day there. Only to be jerked around and spending an hour to start the check in process ( Slash time for them to give youa couple of comp drinks before they tell yo they are up grading you NOT) Then we had to wait for our transfer to the great then to try and deal with the Great acting like them were doing us a favor to even have a room there. So with all said we finally were at the pool around two. Then as we all know rooms aren't ready till three. But when we went back around 3:30 but stood in line for another 30 minutes. Was told to come back in 30 minutes. Fianlly around 5:30 we were able to get into our room. Rough check in :( Truelly it isn't a bad resort if you like or want to be around a lot of kids. Also the fact that we have traveled to cancun at least once a year for the past 10 years we really did want the feel of a smaller resort :( With the first week of January I didn't think we would get bumped and if we did I thought they would have done a comparable resort ??

connecticut
Level Contributor
601 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

wow tammyb - thats bad......I would definitely put up a real stink (if you haven't already) and demand that the Golden give you some future compensation or something......its a little early in the year for bumping to be happening (at least from last years posts) Hope you are still able to have a good time : )

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

They didn't send you to a comparable resort - they sent you to the only other resort they own. They would have had to pay to send you to another resort. There were threads on here about this bumping issue last several years as well as their financial issues last year.

Cheryl

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bumped from the Golden to the Great :(

It's rediculous. If you book an adult only they should send you to an adult only resort. Of course, overbooking shouldn't really even be a problem, but they clearly take it very lightly at the Golden Parnassus. I heard last time around they may have offered Temptations to some which is adult only, but no way would I want that either.

Apple should do something for you, they have such a strong presence in Cancun, but I know Zeeka has this problem with Apple last year and other than getting a few free nights to go back again (and who wants to after this hassle), Apple couldn't do anything either. It ought to be against the law! (which is kind of funny, I know, when referring to Mexico).

We disliked this resort the first time, but liked it the last two times (joined friends). It really does nothing to get me to come back when they pull this crap, and in January no less!