We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

Florence, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

I am looking to book a vacation for July 2012 for my entire extended family. There will be 15 of us with kids ranging in ages from 8 to 18.

Some have budgets that we must stay in and Grand Oasis is within that amount. I love the looks of it in the pictures and know that it recently changed ownership and switched from BeLive to Grand Oasis.

I've seen not so good reviews very recently but am looking for a little more info. Other resorts I am contemplating are Gran Melia and GR Solaris. We love the big pools with lots of activity prefer good restaurant choices but do want cleanliness and not wild kids kids partying. I actually preferred the Riviera Maya but can't find a place within out budget to do.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

For a budget family trip we stay at the Great Parnassas, it was loud as there were alot of kids there but my kids loved it there, they also like the Gran Caribe Real...............and their #1 pick is always a Palace resort, but that is not a budget trip.........

I have never heard anything good about the Oasis so would never book there..........

Edited: 12 January 2012, 02:30
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
284 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

I know Oasis has some festivals and events planned for July, per their new 2012 entertainment plan. I'm sure this will involve a lot of drinking. Oasis is known for it's partying, so not sure if it's for you.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

Do yourself a favor and book elsewhere until the resorts current ownership which is of course the resorts so-called former ownership (they had partnered with an international hospitality giant to manage the resorts for a few years among other marketing issues before an ugly contractual divorce) proves itself capable.

There's not likely many folks that expect things to change much with the owners back in management.

And, the resort is part and parcel of the same complex and grounds as its sister resort, the Oasis Cancun, a notorious party resort, not known for quality, service, food or putting the customer first.

Of the resorts mentioned, either is better IMHO; if I was choosing, it would be the GR Solaris without a second thought among the 3.

JMHO

Edited: 12 January 2012, 03:29
In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

Just to clarify...Oasis Hoteles always owned the resorts, BeLive (Globalia) was a managing, operations, marketing entity they had previously partnered with, now, perhaps, infamously, given the outcome.

JMHO

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

I would recommend the Oasis Palm Beach, I have stayed there for the past 6 years. The Be Live management agreement was a disater, now things are back to normal. The Oasis Palm Beach has a Kid's Club, 6 restaurants with great food and is a family resort. The beach is on the quiet side of the ocean and you will not have to worry about the kids swimming as there is no large waves and no undertow. You have access to the hotel next door the Oasis Grand Caribbean (great infinity pool). The corner rooms have fantastic balconies, looks more like terraces about 15' by 15' and communicating rooms if you need them. Check it out.

Florence, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

Thanks to all. I've definitely learned that there is a difference between the oasis Cancun and grand oasis. As mid July is generally not spring break or high school travel times I imagine the partying won't be too bad. Our family does like a lot of people and activity and we are not looking for a "quiet vacation" so as long as we are at the grand part I'm hoping things are good. There are a lot of places that have worse reviews so I guess we will go and hope for the best. We love the huge pool and that is somewhat hard to find in the price range we are looking for.

And I was just told by my travel agent that they no longer allow spring breakers or high school groups so they must be trying to improve that image.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 17:58
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

I hate to say it but your TA doesn't know what they're talking about. Oasis is StudentCity's main hotel for spring break this year. Summer will be less of an issue but it's still a dump. To each his/her own.

Cheryl

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
284 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

studentcity.com/destinations/…

According to the website, Oasis is still spring break headquarters, so not sure where your travel agent got her info, they still accept anyone over 18. If he/she was referring to the Grand section, that may be true.. but you still share the pool and the majority of the restaurants with the Oasis guests.

However, the pool IS HUGE and I've heard there's quiet sections, so if it fits your budget then go for it and make the best of it.

Not dissing the Oasis at all... I'm actually going there tomorrow! I'm young (23) but definitely not a "spring breaker". I will post how it goes.

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

The Grand Oasis is a really big resort. I've been to both the GR Solaris and Grand Oasis, but if you appreciate the space, go for Grand Oasis, GR Solaris is small and personal, but no one will get lost in your party. Both are a great option, but keep in mind that the Oasis is beat up by spring breakers. At the GR Solaris they have an awesome spa!!

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused by mixed reviews on Grand Oasis Cancun

Went there june 28 for a week in 2011, the grounds are huge! Forget all these people saying it's just party central. Maybe on spring break but your not going spring break. The swimming pool is gigantic and there's plenty of spots away from people who are "partying", there was only one swim up bar that hosted that group and The rest swim bars are laid back. I booked the grand oasis ocean view for 1,180 per person for a week and the view alone was worth that , all the beer , food you can handle, it's a cheap price for a good hotel

Edited: 13 January 2012, 00:54