We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting free WiFi

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting free WiFi

Any technophiles with advice on how to get free WiFi at a hotel that charges for it (Dreams Riviera Cancun). Even cheap US hotels have free WiFi and I don't understand why this hotel charges for it.

Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting free WiFi

I don't believe there are any "legal" ways to do it.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting free WiFi

As a technologist who travels for work a few times a year, plus my personal travels on top of that. I have to say cheaper hotels will offer free wi-fi but the more expensive hotels charge for it unless you are in their member rewards program or the like.

As for getting free wifi from a place that is expecting to paid for it, there are plenty of ways of doing it, none of which are particularly legal, so I am not going to teach you how the technology works. But Google searches do tend to be informative in these matters.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,617 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting free WiFi

The answer to your question is "because they can and their guests will pay". I looked it up and they do have a preferred club program that offers free wifi: dreamsresorts.com/drerc/preferred-rooms.html

This post mentions places with free wifi in Puerto Morelos:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g240327-c135447/Puert…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k3646…

For Cancun, I'd point you to the McDonald's near the Casa Magna Marriott or in La Isla shopping area - or Starbucks.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting free WiFi

I agree with bk. McDonalds and Starbucks are your options for free wifi. Also, join the resort's member rewards program ahead of time. Joining even one day ahead of time with Omni will get you wifi. Never hurts to look and see if you can get it this way. Also, lots of resorts have free wifi in their lobby but you pay to use it in the room.

Cheryl

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting free WiFi

Thank you for your help.

I was hoping there was some kind of WiFi device equivalent to a prepaid phone that I could use to FaceTime and Skype with my kids while I'm gone.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting free WiFi

All the Palace and Hard Rock resorts have free WiFi and free calls to the US, Mexico and Canada.

This might not seem like a big deal unless you have stayed at a resort that charged you for these services. It really adds up.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
814 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting free WiFi

Try this link for finding wifi: v4.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm

8. Re: Getting free WiFi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:19