We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

Manchester
Level Contributor
377 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what's happening with all the bad reviews for The Royal at the moment.

We stayed here in Oct 2010 and are going back in June this year, really hoping that everything is the same.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
751 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

I'm sure it is, don't worry, if I had the extra cash I wd have jumped for this hotel, ( staying at riu palace las Americas ), read between the lines on the bad reviews, I mean does not having enough potatoe chips/ cream etc warrant for less stars.

Some ppl complain for complaints sake.

Take it with a pinch of salt & have a amazing time, I'm counting the days till mine in may :-)...,

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

Do you really think anything has changed?

One review was from a LeBlanc fan, and as a rule, I think that one that likes the LeBlanc will not like the Royal. Whole different atmosphere from what I understand. I do not know as the description and reviews of the LeBlanc screams STAY AWAY to me.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

I have been going yearly to the RC since it opened, soon to be 5 times..The only thing I have noticed is the quality of their Beef Filet Mignon is not as good as it once was..

The first year they were fork tender, no knife needed..Not so now or at least last March they were not..Still good not great..

As to the poor reviews, they had me shaking my head...Some people complain just to hear themselves talking..

Edited: 01 February 2012, 15:43
Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

I've never been to the Royal (being a LeBlanc fan) and haven't read those reviews, but every hotel garners some of those. Unless there is a trend or some "real" complaints, don't put a whole lot of stock in them.

Saint Louis Park...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

The people that complain I think complain about every thing. It's vacation go

and enjoy being waited on,eating, drinking and enjoying life.. Going back for

the 5th time....

Ashford, Kent
Level Contributor
74 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

Stayed at the Royal in Cancun for two weeks over Christmas and New Year. I thought it was a good resort. In all honesty, it probably wasn't worth the money we paid and I certainly wouldn't class it as five star.

Any holiday is what you make. One of the main plus points of the Royal (apart from the amazing beach), is that it's adults only and the staff are lovely. I thought the food was ok, and for an all-inclusive it did well in various departments, particularly the service.

I've read the recent negative reviews, but that's tripadvisor...! I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Cheshunt, United...
Level Contributor
507 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

One of those reviewers had been to Cancun many a time..but never EVER posted any good/bad things about other hotels they had SUPPOSED to off stayed in! Both off those last two posts, its there first post of any hotel on TA...Dont beleive it, was a big thing in the news that people are being paid to write back reviews on hotels so other hotels (la Blanc) get better ratings! am off to the Royal for the first time in May, and will NOT be complaining if my fridge dosent have crisps or other bits re stocked!! Theres 100,s better reviews to the odd bad one:)

Tracey..

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

I was curious so I read some of those reviews. Someone was livid that they didn't get straws. Really? There was a sign at the swim up bar stating that they were attempting to conserve so would only give straws if requested.

I have always read with interest when people describe their check in getting held up. We had the opposite experience...we were checking out of another hotel and into The Royal and decided to give it a shot to see if we could get a room way before check in. There was NO hold up and I think we were in our room by 11:30. And this was when the hotel was at 100% occupancy!

There is only one constant point of irritation for me and that is the lack of shade by the pool. This really gets to me, as I am so very fair!

And another thing that makes me say "hmmmm" is that the English of some of the waitstaff is a little shaky. I am just surprised that at a 5 star hotel there were several people who didn't yet feel confident in their ability to communicate. (before anyone has any comments like "This is MEXICO, lady,: I realize that completely and taught English there for five years. My husband also was a waiter at Pelicano's and I'd say his English skills were at an advanced beginner level while he was working there).

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

We are returning to The Royal in May... The recent bad reviews, IMO, have no credibility. I have been to almost every island in the Carib and nowhere can you find service like in Mexico. I hope people that complain like that never go back, I could only imagine how they treat the wonderful people who try to make their vacation a more than pleasurable experience. Honestly, if someone lets a timeshare session "ruin" their honeymoon, I think there are bigger things going on (or not ;-) ... Just sayin

Manchester
Level Contributor
377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad reviews at The Royal in Cancun

Thanks everyone for all your input.

It was amazing the first time and i'm now positive it will be in June. Not been away since Oct 2010 so we are really looking forward to going back in June (counting the days).

We decided to go back to the royal because of the amazing staff, the cleanliness of the hotel, the food basically we loved everything about this hotel.