We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tequila

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
Best tequila

My parents love tequila and I'd like to bring them back a good bottle. They prefer the aged, sipping kind, not the "down a shot" kind.

Can anyone recommend a really good tequila?

Thx

PA
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best tequila

Chachie, No such thing as: "Sipping Tequila" heh heh heh

GMM
Hudson, New York
Level Contributor
712 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best tequila

You will find many different brands of good "sipping" Tequilas in Cancun. The aged tequilas are called Anejo which you can taste at most liquor stores. Buy them one that they can't get at home, the clerk will let you know which ones are only sold in Mexico.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best tequila

Well, that dpends on the Tequila drinkers preferences..

This site might help you understand the differences in Tequilas..

http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/types.htm

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best tequila

Aged = anejo. There are *very* many fine anejo tequilas available. I would suggest that you seek and find a non-export, as this would make an excellent memento as apposed to buying an anejo that your parents could buy at their local liquor store. Speak with knowledgeable and helpful store clerks, many better stores offer tastings. Again, go for a non-export.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best tequila

I love Don Julio reposado or anejo, but you can find it in the US easily.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best tequila

The reason we don't bring back tequila, is we can get the same in the USA and the Alcohol % in tequila sold in Cancun is 35%, in the US it is 40%.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best tequila

"The reason we don't bring back tequila, is we can get the same in the USA and the Alcohol % in tequila sold in Cancun is 35%, in the US it is 40%."

=================================================

Incorrect.

How does this misinformation get started anyhow? Is this something you read, and now pass along?

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best tequila

From the site I posted...I don't think the info is dated...

Proof

All tequilas have similar alcohol content - roughly the same percentage as any standard spirit including scotch, vodka, gin or bourbon - around 38-40% (equal to 76-80 proof). Generally tequilas sold in Mexico are at 38%, while export tequilas are at 40%. Mezcal may have a higher proof. Proof used to be higher, around 45%, but in the shortage of the 1930s, many distillers dropped their alcohol volume to the current levels, and it remained at that level ever since. Although tequila can still legally be made up to 45% alcohol today, that is not a common practice. The minimum percentage for tequila is 35%, lowered in 2000.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best tequila

Now go in a store in the area and check the bottles of their alcohol content for yourself. Don't believe everything you read on the web, but you didn't need me to tell you that, did you? ;)

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best tequila

My last bottle bought in MX was 38%..Last bottle bought in the US was 40 %...That has been about 5 years or so ago...