We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local color

Lawton, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Topic
local color

Just wondering if it would be entertaining, and safe, to spend a day enjoying local color, shopping etc. in "old" areas of Cancun. Also is there attire to help you blend w/ locals?

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: local color

You don't think they woudn't spot a "Gringo"? LOL

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local color

I go to downtown Cancun all the time. Great time and no probs at all.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local color

Be prepared for relentless hassling by the sellers at the markets. You will be able to find some cheap, good food, though.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local color

and alot of 2 -3 x 1 Beers..... : )

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local color

Nothing is really old in Cancun. I think everything is post-1970 or so. At any rate, head down near Parque Las palapas and you might find some local flavor. I always gravitate toward that area because I like the food vendors. Take the R1 bus until you're on Tulum Ave, then get off and head west.

You will probably stand out as a tourist no matter what you do. If you want to at least keep them guessing where you are from, you could ditch the shorts, flip flops, and loud shirt for lightweight pants, leather shoes, and a shirt with a collar.

6. Re: local color

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:20