We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/today-in-travel/airline-fat-tax-legal-ruling-may-pave-the-way.html?id=10473924&source=91&value=2012-02-13+00%3A00%3A00&u=SLB9AEADBE&nl_cs=10413046%3A%3A7597281%3A%3A10473924%3A%3A

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

First off.....www.tinyurl.com is your friend. You can copy long url's into their box and click and it will give you a short one to share. It's free.

Second, Frontier and others already treat overweight passengers like cattle and get away with it. Coming soon to an airline near you....

If they do treat people poorly enough, they'll all start to suffer. Overweight people buy lots of plane tickets. The question has to become....just how many people can they humiliate without hurting their bookings?

Cheryl

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

The article is rather vague. I guess I missed the point it was attempting to make. As far as obese travelers, Im somewhat surprised we haven't seen any airline yet establish its fare based on the weight of the passenger and their baggage. After all, it is weight that is the primary source of cost (fuel) for any airline. Perhaps the time has come...

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

I am lazy, just like cut and paste. But thanks anyway.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 18:52
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

"I am lazy, just like cut and paste. But thanks anyway."

I love your honesty. :)

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

CherylP

I am a computer professional or what they call now IT and we use alot 'cut and paste', I am just used to this. But seriously thanks,I was not in anyway sarcastic,etc..., just telling the truth and really thanks for the link.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
274 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

The idea of charging by weight sounds like a reasonable one. What would be unfair about that? Or charge for an average weight, if you're over, you pay an additional fee.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Watch for it in the future. I'm sure its day is coming. That, and charging for carry on instead of checked baggage. That one they've got bass ackwards. You pay for benefits and perks. It is both to carry on luggage, why aren't the airlines charging for this, and allowing first checked bag free? Eliminates the overcrowded overheads, morons from bringing excessive carry ons, and the associated departure and arrival delays.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

bellasogno

Agree with you. They should start charging for carry-on luggage, it is becoming royal pain in a..., also more and more it is becoming huge safety issue aboard the aircraft.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

Yes, they will eventually roll you onto a large scale with your bags and charge accordingly...

...and I agree about the huge carryons. It's really gotten ridiculous. Most international flights still allow a free bag (I think USAIR does not).

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we have to go on diet before boarding a airplane?

I would pay to carry on. I don't carry on because I have to pay to check a bag. I travel light and prefer to keep everything with me. My carry on fits easily in any aircraft I've been in, besides small commuter planes.