We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Safety

Just reading on all the 'negative comments' and wondering if it is really safe to plan a week long trip to Cancun? We are planning to travel with in the next 6 to 8 weeks and I am concerned.

Cancun
Level Contributor
483 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Cancun is safer than most US cities of its size, even more so in traditional tourist areas like the Hotel Zone.

No need to be concerned :)

Just follow the same common sense you would at home. Don't go off with strangers, drink responsibly, etc.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Cancun is not a center of the the drug violence that plagues a lot of Mexico.

I've been many times and had no issues. I can't recall anyone actually posting here of a personal experience with violent crime in Cancun.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Please refer to a map and see where those negative comments are referring to.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

If you heard about a gang war in Los Angeles would you avoid Denver?

Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

I see you are in Texas!!

You are much closer to the violence in Texas, than you will be in Cancun.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

I like all these posts on safety in Mexico, I just grab a bag of popcorn and sit back and enjoy.

Cohasset...
Level Contributor
166 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

If you're referring to people being concerned about recently expanded travel advisories for several areas of Mexico from the U.S. State Department, just go to the State Department's web site (travel.state.gov) and click on Mexico. You'll find all the info you need including the fact that as of the February 8, 2012 update there is NO ADVISORY in effect for Quintana Roo (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum). We're looking forward to our trip in 4 weeks! Hope you go and have a good time, Sand.

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

The Aliens have their laser guns on "stun" only so you should be safe

9. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:53