We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

It is being reported in todays Por Esto newspaper, that as a result of theft report filed by Canadian tourists, Federal and State police have broken up a large theft operation at Cancuns airport . The Canadian tourists had reported the theft of a camera, two perfumes, a cell phone charger and a watch, valued at 5900 pesos, was stolen from their luggage.

It is reported three were arrested and were part of a larger band working for Passenger Handling Services S. A. C. V., which is responsible for servicing aircraft and handling of baggage at the airport. These are not airline employees.

Good work by the area police! Of course, I have no idea why anyone would place such items in their checked luggage!

Edited: 01 March 2012, 11:25
Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
New Bedford...
Level Contributor
101 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

Hmm... Last year I had family arrive separately to join us at the Royal Sands. They flew American Airlines from Boston. Their luggage was delayed and AA said they would have a company drop it off for them at the resort. It arrived next day by currier and was missing several expensive toiletries and a few Robert Graham shirts. AA did nothing for them.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
The Royal Sands Resort...
5,030 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

I worked for an airline serving Cancun and in my opinion, the airlines will help you little in Cancun. The Canadians did the right thing by going to the police. It got results. The airlines have little control of the employees at the airport since the baggage handlers and ticket counter people are contract employees and not airline employees

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

Finally a positive story about area police. I would dare say while few cops are corrupt most of them are just doing their job.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
804 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

How where they stealing? Was it coming from the checked bags? Did the travelers have their bags locked?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

I dont know how they were stealing it, the article didnt say. Yes, the bags were checked. But baggage handlers have plenty of opportunity where the luggage is not visable to the public. And since apparently many people were involved, that makes things easier. Dont know if the bags were locked but that only slows them down a bit and may make it more challenging.

The police did good work here. But it does appear it was Federal and state police which, in my opinion. are usually much less corrupt.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
804 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

Goodness! Glad they got caught!!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

And what do you know welcome to Boston Logan:

…cbslocal.com/2012/…

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Va
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

This has only been going on how long? Since the airport opened? I seriously doubt this is more than a publicity stunt.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

It does happen most everywhere , sig. Including the US airport and airline where I worked. What I found great about this story, the police actual followed through and investigated this at the Cancun airport. I think it worked because the Federal police got involved and I have found them, in general, to be a hard working, dedicated police unit.

These people did the right thing in involving the police. The airline will usually do little because you need proof the items were actually stolen and then proof of their value. And liability limits are very limited.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 17:25
Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft From Luggage at Cancun Airport

Robert, what was trying to point out why people put expensive stuff in check in luggage. I am not excusing the thieves, but people got to be more vigilant.