We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

Watched a CBC Marketplace show last night about travel medical insurance. Apparently, to interpret the application questionnaire, you need both a medical and a legal degree!

I found it both interesting and somewhat cautionary - as with most insurance policies, it's only when you make a claim that you discover you don't have the coverage you thought you'd purchased. The show featured a guy who's heart attack/treatment costs claim (some $360,000+) was denied due to some inadvertent misinformation he provided regarding diverticular disease and gasto-intestinal bleeding!!!

If you want to see the whole programme, it's here - http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/trippedup/

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
436 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

I never take insurance as it is not in your favour. Unless you are in perfect health, no conditions, never had a presciption in 12 months or seen a doctor, then you get paid. .

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

To each his own as to risk taking and willingness to do so, and I'm certainly no fan of the insurance industry, and akin to all things in life, once again "caveat emptor". However, with research, one can find a reputable company to provide travel/health insurance that may meet their individual needs, and I recommend they do such, especially when traveling to Mexico. A serious injury, condition or accident in country can result in thousands in costs with no chance of reimbursement for out of pocket expenses without some form of health insurance as back-up...or worse, delay in medical treatment, and issues and costs related to repatriation if needed under emergency conditions. Quite frankly, a foreign land is no place to be without coverage of some type in a health emergency unless one has extremely deep pockets and can afford to reach into them quickly without issue.

JMHO

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

Wow - you NEVER take travel medical insurance? I sincerely hope you NEVER travel to the US where medical costs are bordering on the extortionate. Or perhaps you have some seriously deep pockets or maybe just a significantly higher risk tolerance than I do.

My point was not to say that insurance is NOT worthwhile but that it can be tricky to ensure that you are, in fact, covered. Simply paying the premium is no guarantee.

In addition to a gal on these forums who had to fork over $20k when her husband suffered a heart attack in Mexico, I have personal knowledge of two different family members of mine who had occasion to use their travel medical coverage. In my SIL's case, she had to claim twice (it was an extended, six month trip) - I believe the total costs were around $50k. My Mum's claim was in the region of $30k I believe. In both cases, the insurance paid up with no issues at all. In my Mum's case, she even got reimbursed for the portion of the cruise that she and my Dad missed!

Some people could weather a $20k, $30k or even $50k surprise hit; many others would be financially devasted by such a thing.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,230 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

I never purchase travel insurance either, at least I haven't in the past 15 years or so.

My US insurance will cover out of the country. I realize I may have to pay upfront, but, I have a high limit credit card.

I also have medical evacuation insurance, an annual policy, with MedJet.

We travel outside the US several times every year. I've saved literally thousands of dollars by not buying the insurance.......

new york
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

My main reason for buying insurance is coverage for medical evacuation.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

Jeanh - if your US insurance covers you out of the country, I think that's a whole different ball of wax to people who travel with NO COVERAGE WHATSOEVER.

Myself and my kids are covered through the coverage my husband gets from his employer - so I don't purchase travel medical insurance specifically either..... but only because I already have it.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

Lisa, I definitely agree, not a good idea to travel outside of country without travel insurance. Like you, we are covered thru our work policy. My Dad had a heart attack in Arizona a few years back, ended up having a triple bypass there, without Blue Cross I'm not sure what they would have done. Insurance can be tricky though, often if you have a pre-existing condition you might not be covered, especially if you have had a recent change in medication, always best to check before you leave.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

Another factor to consider is what verbage is in your insurance contract. Many policies (even the good ones) will say "may" cover you for out of country care. Also, even when covered, they wil normaly use standards (rates and care) that are accepted in the country you live in. An example of this is if your policy covers you for up to three days in a hospital for a certain condition (at home) and you end up staying five days in the foreign hospital they will only cover the first three days.

9. Re: Cdn travel medical insurance - so you think you're covered?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:41